Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Something to be Aware of  (Read 2511 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Something to be Aware of
« on: May 10, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »
This was posted on another forum I belong to.....Thought it was worth putting on here so that we can beware.

Several of my family and friends in the UK are being hit by the same attempted scam - not via email but by the telephone. An Indian sounding gent calls up and says he is working for Microsoft has been asked to "help them" with a problem which has been reported by their systems - then goes on to ask for details etc which luckily all my famly and friends have been too wise to give him - and one relative does not even own a PC!!! However a nasty trick and seemingly an attempt to be able to get at the stuff on their PCs and so as we all use PCs a lot for our business and often display telephone numbers and contact details it may not be too long before our Asian fiend tries it on with one of us...

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Something to be Aware of
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:28:18 pm »
Hello Julies I am really amazed how easy it seems to con people How gullible and grabbing some are.Me if I haven't asked for it Don't bother with it.To the right of the r/h side ENTER key is another that has Delete on it works wonders with my crap machine say :wave: to it ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 09:06:37 pm »
I had one of those E Mails wanting to "give me money" I replyed saying why me, and they said I was ideal!! MY AR***????? I would love to get some of them back!!! We get loads of requests for accomadation for at least 10 people for 15 nights, AS IF?????

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 10:15:20 pm »

I have had a couple over the last few weeks from "The Inland Revenue" apparently I have paid too much tax and they would like to refund me £998 if I would just send them my bank details. Yeah right!! They one thing that I could never be accused of is overpaying the tax man  ;).so there is no chance of me falling for that one
Anne

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:57:44 am »
Of course there is also the Nigerian Prince wanting to transfer $9 million into my bank account for him and then he promises to pay me $2million for helping him! 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 07:38:21 am »
Arn't I the lucky one not havin any money ;D ;D ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46:37 am »
The latest one I have been plagued with for the last couple of months is "UPS"  "We are trying to deliver a parcel you sent to the US on which the address is incomplete. Please tell us your address and details so that we can either deliver it or send it back to you"  I don't think so!

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:39:52 am »
I get that one too and of course the bank ones.....I don't post things anymore as I buy stuff off the internet if I want it to go to AUstrailia or my other daughters in Leicestershire!!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 02:39:50 pm »
If you call Bt Broadband for help you can get "referred" within minutes to a scamming company...sad but it happened to us! OH noticed last minute that something was fishy when he was asked for bank details... I'm sure they just sat across each other at the same desk in the call centre :&>

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 07:43:23 pm »
Did not know that one, I am with BT Broadband  :o

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 06:50:59 am »
Pay pal and banks trying to get details.  I was told don't click on their link as this allows them access to the computer. 

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 07:10:11 am »
Amazon is the latest addition. all the real sites have email addresses where you can forward suspicious mails to
spoof@ebay.co.uk
spoofing@amazon.co.uk
 :&>

last year we also had a phone call from an Indian sounding "gentleman" saying we are in arrears with the mortgage and if I would like settle it up over the phone...some time later we had the statement and it was a completely different amount, so I rang them up and said I never , ever pay anything if they call me. she had no record of a call having been made to us... :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS