Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 226102 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #240 on: August 06, 2016, 03:46:41 pm »
The last two weeks before slaughter I m planning to feed my ones just wheat or oats.
The reason why you don't want to feed them growers pellets before slaughter is that the pellets have fish oils and vitamins etc which make the meat taste fishy
the last two weeks or so you want to feed them either finisher pellets or even better corn. But the problem in this country is that when you buy mixed corn it's mostly wheat. Bag is mixed corn costs £7.85 and 20kg bag of wheat is just £5
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #241 on: August 06, 2016, 10:01:09 pm »
Hi Dave

This thread is so useful! I am planning the same. I have Ixworth hens that are coming into lay and the Sasso Slow Growers (sorry don't know the exact specification but they look exactly like yours) who are 12 weeks now. This morning one of my Sasso cockerels crowed. He is quite chunky, but shows all signs of normal cockerel behaviour (more than the others), so I am thinking he might be a good choice to cross with my Ixworth. Obviously, I am also worried he might not make it and am thinking I might feed him differently and put him together with the Ixworth hens now.

I am also going to try it the other way round, get some Sasso hens to lay and breed with my Ixworth cockerel.

I had all my Sasso free ranging without a pen until a few days ago. Now I think it is time to get some more weight on and was wondering what you feed them to get them table ready? (Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn't read all 16 pages of theís thread!)

Thanks
Shari

Hi Shari, nice to see you back :thumbsup:

I'm pleased you find the thread useful, you should join in more with the crack, we all interested in your table birds  ;D

My slow grows are actually Sasso T551 but I just call them Gallic.

At 12 weeks mine were ready for freezer camp but I kept back all 4 hens and 2 of the lightest weight cockerels with good movement which I hope will survive to breed.
I then put them straight on layers pellets which are much less fattening and kept them free ranging to keep them fit.

Like Macgro7 said I also feed the last 2 weeks different but I feed mixed corn bread and baked potatoes.

Put up some pics of your birds would be great to see them  :thumbsup:

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2016, 10:32:19 pm »
Forgot to mention  :-[
I think the Sasso Ixworth will be a good cross  :thumbsup:

Will be very interesting to see how the crosses differ each way round.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #243 on: August 07, 2016, 04:06:55 pm »
Guess what we having for dinner again  :excited:
I'm loving these Sasso Gallic chickens. 

Hopefully not as well done as the last   :innocent:

shari

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #244 on: August 07, 2016, 08:38:19 pm »
Yum!  :chook:
At what weight did you cull ? I think mine are not ready yet because they have been free ranging away from the feeder a lot until I put them in the pen. Also, I am feeding organic pellets which are not as high in protein as other non-organic feed. I am hoping that this slow growth approach might actually help with getting them to reproduce.  :fc:

Here are some of my boys.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2016, 10:26:09 pm »
I weight mine at 10 weeks and they were 2.5kg at that point they were free ranging, I then penned them and put them on mixed corn and anything that encouraged them to eat more.

If your looking to keep some back for breeding I would separate them, putting the breeders then on layers pellets and free ranging them and the freezer campers in a finishing pen and on a finishers ration what ever you choose.

They look more like my Sasso X431A Farm Rangers which last year I didn't process until 14-16 weeks but were very large birds.
Hope this helps.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2016, 08:59:12 pm »
Out of six silver dorking eggs only 1 hatched. That's was Friday.  Today in the morning it was dead. Sooooooo disappointed.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2016, 09:27:23 pm »
Oh no mate that's bad crack.
How did you get on with the other breeds ?

shari

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #248 on: August 08, 2016, 10:01:03 pm »
Sorry to hear that, that's a shame!

Dave, do you remember at what age the Sasso X431A Farm Rangers hens could potentially start laying? And what weight were the non-layers when they were ready for the freezer?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #249 on: August 08, 2016, 11:11:56 pm »
I processed the cockerels at about 16 weeks and they made 4.5 - 5kg

The hens were also impressive and started laying massive eggs at 17 weeks.

The ones I have now are nearly 7 weeks and looking quite good  :thumbsup:

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2016, 04:40:59 pm »
heres the spreadsheet

not the best weight gains again but weigh gains none the less

spreadsheet attactched

LS are still performing the better

i think 9 am going to seperate them the 2 breeds this evening this may give the LS cross a kick they need

i am also thinking of upping the protien and going for turkey finnishers

what do people think

thanks
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2016, 07:01:56 pm »
I think it's normal for traditional breeds to slow on the weight gain as most of there weight is frame not always meat.

A good quality finisher will help.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #252 on: August 11, 2016, 01:54:10 pm »
I have separated the groups into 2 pens once this feed runs down I'm going to put them on a higher protein ration
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #253 on: August 11, 2016, 08:40:57 pm »
Will be interesting to see if that changes anything  :thumbsup:

I'm away early next week but going to try and weigh the Buff rocks cockerels.
They've really disappointed me and to be honest and if there's no improvement there going, just not worth the feed and you get to the point when it's just not worth it.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #254 on: August 11, 2016, 11:17:15 pm »
Out of six silver dorking eggs only 1 hatched. That's was Friday.  Today in the morning it was dead. Sooooooo disappointed.

Did you have other breeds in there ?
If so what did you end up with ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS