Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breeding for Meat or Eggs  (Read 226120 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Breeding for Meat or Eggs
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2016, 09:11:34 pm »
I get you...
I don't like them either. Only ordered some because my wife wanted white ones and also for comparison with the red ones.
One week old Ross are already much heavier then red sasso.
I wanted to post a picture but it says the file is too large... will try to convert it into a smaller one.
I'm taking a picture of red and white every Saturday of their life, 2 pics so far but you can already see a lot of difference. Didn't weigh them but the white ones are definitely significantly heavier with much wider breast.
By the way
I had 1 red and 4 white ones die! All on day 3
Also I do take their feeder away for the night, so they are only getting food for 12 hours a day.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:13:28 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2016, 08:57:16 am »
HI
weighed in last night

spreadsheet attatched

all birds are now over 1kg at 9 weeks old
and had an average weight gain of 200g this week

bird 1105 still the top performer

i have added another small column to the spread and that is below each small box at the side
its the average weekly weight gain per breed just so i know how consistant the growth is between the 2 groups

i had good look at the birds at weekend and found that the IG X LS ar pretty much identical to the light sussex aprt from been brown where the white would be the shape is very similar although the legs on the IGx are thicker set overall they look in great condition
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2016, 02:22:11 pm »
Again good info mate.  :thumbsup:

I think you've found your stud cockerel for the pure LS in 1105.
Well worth passing on his early maturity and 1100 might be worth keeping an eye on as well.

I would expect the Ig X LS to have a wider chest and more upright stature as well as thicker legs, this is normal traits passed down by IG  :thinking:

Did you see the IG cockerel that went into the cross ? Did he look similar to mine in shape (pic on last page) ?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2016, 03:56:16 pm »
I've been reading that cock passes he's mothers egg laying quantity to the offspring and the hen is responsible for the next generation's body conformation .
So if you want a meaty chickens use meaty hens and a cock which grows fast and lays a lot of eggs.
That's why it's a good idea to use indian game hens with a LS cock
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2016, 04:29:34 pm »
thats what i will be doing with with my IG x LS hens puttng the back with LS cockerel
see how it goes

when you are selecting for breeding is it as simple as looking as going for the fastest cull weight in the fastest weight?

can you advise any literature to read cant see much online

thanks

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2016, 04:30:48 pm »
Macgro7, Yes I've heard that a lot but it also works very well IG cock over Duel purpose hen, the frame of the offspring should hold meat.
Maybe the egg laying might suffer though not sure.

If I can keep these Sasso Gallic cockerels alive long enough I would like to try it both ways and see for myself.

How's the chicks doing mate ?
Mine are in with 12 Guinea fowl Keets, I've heard nightmare story's about keeping them together, but so far so good.  :fc:

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2016, 04:32:01 pm »
Again good info mate.  :thumbsup:

I think you've found your stud cockerel for the pure LS in 1105.
Well worth passing on his early maturity and 1100 might be worth keeping an eye on as well.

I would expect the Ig X LS to have a wider chest and more upright stature as well as thicker legs, this is normal traits passed down by IG  :thinking:

Did you see the IG cockerel that went into the cross ? Did he look similar to mine in shape (pic on last page) ?

to be fair i didnt see him but i have seen the weights and the cull birds the guy is grahame belligton and hes on face book puts a few pictures up on the utitlity sites

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #127 on: July 12, 2016, 04:40:47 pm »
thats what i will be doing with with my IG x LS hens puttng the back with LS cockerel
see how it goes

when you are selecting for breeding is it as simple as looking as going for the fastest cull weight in the fastest weight?

can you advise any literature to read cant see much online

thanks

Yeah there's not much info out there unfortunately.
If your not looking at colour, type, confirmation etc, then yes.
If you're just looking at improving maturity time & weight then that's the way to go, I read some studies from the USA saying you can improve a strain dramatically in about 3-5 generations, they were using low quality mass produce hatchery stock and trying to make it decent.
Personally I would say start with the best quality you can afford, it will save you years  ;D

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2016, 04:46:45 pm »
i will look at the type and confirmation but colour LS are black and white right ha ha
i will be making a trio/quartet up and depending how they turn out

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2016, 06:48:35 pm »
Haha,

Like the table bird saying goes

Who cares about the colour, you don't eat the feathers  :yum:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2016, 07:53:15 pm »
Sasso and Ross at the age of two days:

The same chicks week later (today):

I think I will need to separate them into two brooder as they are running out of space

I am taking a new picture every Saturday

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2016, 05:32:54 pm »
What finish time & weight did Piggotts recommend for the Sasso mate ?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2016, 05:38:20 pm »
Well the little meat balls in my brooder are 3 weeks now and feathering up nicely, so tomorrow I will be turning the heat lamp off during the day, I have been raising it every few days and it's never bothered them.

The plan is only have it on a night and then looking at the weather forecast they will be outside Sunday and from then on.  :fc:

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2016, 06:57:14 pm »
Hey Princess Ruby,

how's the great Yorkshire going ?

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2016, 10:28:16 pm »
Not there until tomorrow
Looking forward to it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS