Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: summer footwear ?  (Read 5959 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
summer footwear ?
« on: May 31, 2016, 04:08:22 pm »
With apologies to those of you down south suffering foul weather  :gloomy:, what do you wear as working footwear when it's really hot  :sunshine:?  I normally wear steel toe-capped work boots when it's dry and wellies when it's wet, but working in the tunnel today where the temp must have been 90+ my feet were swollen and boiled in the boots, so I had to give up  :garden:.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: summer footwear ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:25:24 pm »
I ususally wear wellies all year around, have you tried goloshes or crocks during the summer. Don't have bare feet though choose a light white tainer ankle sock which is cool, but also protects, keep the 20 plus suncream on and take care. Also make sure you divide the work throughout the day and take rests in between. This may help.

Essential Oil Blend. To reduce foot swelling, rub a mixture of plant essential oils to the swollen feet and ankles. Some of the best essential oils for treating swollen feet are eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, lavender oil, lemon oil, grapefruit oil and rosemary oil.

make sure to stretch too. I would recommend the crocks though as good working material.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 05:27:01 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 04:40:40 pm »
Crocs if it's really warm  :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 05:28:43 pm »
I'm a crocs person too. I don't really like the way they look but they are so comfortable
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:32:47 pm »
I'm with crocs, even in wet weather you can wear them, rinse them off under the tap, leave them to dry and put them on again. And so comfy, I've had mine for three summers and they are only now starting to get slippy.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:39:44 pm »
I've got a fleece lined pair of Crocs that I use as slippers  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:05:19 pm »
Thanks all.  I'd been wondering about crocs but I'm worried about them not providing enough protection - half my life ago one of my feet was crushed by a Volvo and I still have major problems with footwear giving enough support.  I will give them a go though, just for gardening and when there's no machinery in use.  They certainly look cool.

WBF - it's factor 50 for me, plus anti UV specs, hat and covered arms (it's amazing what some medication can do to you).   Thanks for the tip about the essential oils. I have all those you mention in stock.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 07:53:39 am »
I live in steel toecap boots all year round.  I find running two pairs helps so that changing which pair I put on every time I go out helps with keeping my feet comfy.  The ones I have now have that silver lining stuff that is meant to keep feet at foot temperature, it certainly worked over winter but does get a bit warm at the moment.  The correct socks also play a part in comfy feet.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:20:50 am »
An alternative to crocs might be sunthetic gardening clogs- they are a bit more substantial,than crocs, and some e.g. Town and Country ones, have a lightly padded insole. I have a pair made by Briers, that are more substantial than crocs, and have a slightly textured foot bed that I find really comfortable. They also have solid tops, whichni think adds a bit to the support. I prefer them to crocs, which I have also tried.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 09:36:51 am »
I used to wear crocs but they wear down so quickly and are dangerous when the grip has gone. Also thorns come up through them very easily, and no protection if you drop something on your foot!
Steel toe cap boots for me.  Probably would change three times in a hot day to let the sweaty ones dry out :).  Also change socks too - and like [member=75709]Buttermilk[/member] says you need to choose the right socks - I like Bridgedale Cool Fusion ones, or something else that is designed for hot weather.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 09:50:05 am »
I find crocs slippy and steel toe caps generally too heavy. I am not a lover of wellies. I have a mixture of walking boots, riding boots and yard boots. Robinsons Equestrian have had some really, really good deals lately on all sorts of boots. And we have a shop in our local village that does good deals on walking boots but I guess you could find bargains on line. I rather think boots are like coats and you can't have too many.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 10:00:43 am »
Like Louise we both have garden type clogs with the solid top for general back garden stuff but gold bolts for the land. Never thought of clogs for the polytunnels but it sounds like a good idea. We generally try to keep Polytunnel work to morning and evening to avoid the worst of the heat :sunshine:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 12:30:04 pm »
I got a pair of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002LARSIE/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  (not at that price mind) .. actually very light as they are only steel toe, not steel sole.  Much better than my Dickies boots which are heavy and falling apart!
Finding safety boots in girlie sizes is hard enough, let alone finding comfy ones!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 01:07:20 pm »
Thank you Foobar - those are pretty much what I wear already, but going on from that link I got these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amblers-Steel-FS59C-Ladies-Safety/dp/B00KY07YY6/ref=pd_d0_recs_v2_cwb_sh_18?ie=UTF8&dpID=41M58MxKbiL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=R1AGM8F84NSW03WB84BW  less than half price and non-steel reinforcement so not so heavy.  I just hope they're wide enough as ladies boots are often too narrow for the squashed foot.
So between those and the crocs I should be fine.  It's a bit alarming about the thorns coming through - we have a lot of thorns  :o so I'll be aware.
I've tried gardening clogs before Louise but I didn't get on with them.

Thank you everyone - you've been a real help  :thumbsup:

Coastie

• Joined Mar 2015
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 01:10:25 am »
Blackthorn spikes will def. go through crocs.  If you just want to try something similar as a test, Lidl are doing croc type shoes for under £5.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS