Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tiny homes on agricultural land?  (Read 19261 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Tiny homes on agricultural land?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 10:03:07 pm »
I suppose it depends on what part of the country you are..but here in Shropshire you can"t get away with much.Best  you could hope for is a caravan at the bottom of a garden for elderly relative/carer/agricultural worker and you would still pay counckl tax (band A) and need planning permission. There use to be an exemption for council tax for those holiday homes (if you only spend so many weeks in them) and what about a  canal boat?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 03:23:33 pm »
............. and what about a  canal boat?

A canal boat on wheels? Should confuse them :roflanim: :roflanim:
..or dig a pond for it...

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 05:30:52 pm »
I lived in my small caravan for two years with no fuss, the caravan is still there and no-one has bothered me, but my land is well off the beaten track.
I have one neighbour who lives in a tepee and another in a converted horse box. He was reported and told to move it but he said no and was given a wheelie bin and a council tax bill.
People always say.....what if everyone did this.......but, truly, how many people would want to? Most folk are conventional (and law abiding) and to be truthful it's not the most comfortable way of living so I don't suppose there would be an epidemic of caravans and tents.
Just make sure it is screened from any road/public right of way.
(Why do I feel a wave of indignation coming my way!)

No indignation from me, you are my hero

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2016, 08:53:30 am »
What about a 'hut'?

http://www.thousandhuts.org/?page_id=11

"Since 2014 Scottish Planning Policy (SPP) encourages local authorities to consider the construction of huts in rural settings for recreational accommodation."

I wonder what it's like in Wales, does this same thing apply?

Here is a good site

https://homefarmer.co.uk/getting-planning-permission-log-cabins-mobile-homes/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 08:57:08 am by Orinlooper »

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2016, 10:18:23 am »
What about a 'hut'?

http://www.thousandhuts.org/?page_id=11

"Since 2014 Scottish Planning Policy (SPP) encourages local authorities to consider the construction of huts in rural settings for recreational accommodation."

I wonder what it's like in Wales, does this same thing apply?

From a Welsh tax payer ..... I hope not. ( yes Ok send in the storm troopers! :innocent:)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 04:00:08 pm »
In wales - yes we have enough problems with all the farms being a holiday house - without leting people spend 3 grand on a bit of land and park a 20 grand 'shepards' hut in it, then think they are part of the community becuase they come 3 times a year and buy a burger from the local pub.

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 12:49:56 am »
Is there not a new law in Wales, that allows people, who are using the land for agricultural purposes and making their livinf from the land, to be able to apply for permission to build a dwelling on their land. I believe it's restricted permission. ie, it couldn't be used as a holiday home or sold on etc.
I'll try and remember who informed me.

I for one, would love to build a tiny house on my land and live off grid. I think there would be quite a lot of people wanting to do this. I'd love to have a couple of cows and some sheep, keep my chickens there. I'm almost ready to chuck everything in and do that. I've even thought that it would be ok to move my cats in as well.

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2016, 12:54:24 am »
http://lammas.org.uk/planning/

I wish this was possible in SE England. I'm so up for an eco tiny build off grid dwelling and being self sufficient.

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2016, 08:05:16 am »
Getting around planning restrictions by demonstrating an agricultural need is nothing new- but it is not straightforward. You have to demonstrate a genuine need to be present on the land, and any house built under this exemption is subject to an agricultural tie. That will have implications for mortgages etc.

I remember there was a company a few years back who used to advertise package mushroom farms as a way of achieving this- they advertised in a housebuilding magazine, not a farming one, of course!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2016, 12:43:20 pm »
Indeed, and it is hard work, let me assure you.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2016, 02:49:12 pm »
A friend of mine had about 20 acres, a large agri barn, some hens, sheep and a couple of pigs, 5 miles from her cottage in a small village - council eventually admitted she was almost there with about 7 points out of the ten needed.

She went along to feed them all one morning to find one of her pigs dying, had to call the vet and have it put down - a vagrant had sliced a bit off it to eat!!!! (he was still there, out of his mind, and the police took him away, and left her sobbing; she never heard anything more from them)

Even THEN her council wouldn't let her have even a caravan on the land so she could protect her animals!  She sold the land and gave up.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2016, 09:46:40 pm »
The main criteria to get permission for a house is need to be on site for animal welfare
Full time occupation for one person
And you need to make a income of  @£13k
Sometimes they give temporary permission for a mobile home for 3 years in that 3 years you are expected to generate that income in at least one of the 3 years.

If you fail they very very rarely give a extension and its game over

So imo best way is to get bis generating a substantial income before you even attempt that route

its a long process and you only get permission as stated above tied to agricultural use
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:27:57 pm by mart6 »

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2016, 11:58:50 pm »
Have heard that an intensive poultry unit could get you permission to build house...but then you would need planning for the poultry unit  first.Which comes first?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2016, 11:21:41 am »
If you can at least start the business off site then you can get things going, but you need to then show that you need to be on site, when you apply for your temporary

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2016, 11:22:57 am »
The main criteria to get permission for a house is need to be on site for animal welfare
Full time occupation for one person
And you need to make a income of  @£13k

Worse than that i think, it's agricultural min wage, plus a percentage to service a mortgage and potentially a percentage of land value increase i've been told

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS