Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: loading and off loading slaughter pigs  (Read 6595 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
loading and off loading slaughter pigs
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:12:25 pm »
So yesterday Mr Bluff took 3 of our GOS to the abattoir.
I wasn't there but apparently it was incredibly problematic.

They would not go in the trailer despite not being fed in the morning (our abattoir does pigs on a Monday afternoon) and then - even worse they would not move out of the trailer when he got them.

The advice given from a farmer was to not feed them for a longer period before we take them so that they are desperate for food and will def follow the bucket but I am a big softie and this seems to be beyond cruel to me

Any advice  - we have never had this problem before  - they normally follow the bucket brilliantly.

thanks

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: loading and off loading slaughter pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 06:20:19 pm »
Last year our pigs wouldn't load. Complete PITA. This year we're going to park the trailer in the field a week or so before and get them used to going into it to be fed so that we can get them in more easily on the day.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:29:56 pm »
We used to pop the pigs in question in a nice sized pen overnight with only water no food and they usually went in the trailer, another thing you can do is follow them with a few boards, this requires a few people and push them into the trailer and they go in no problems.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:55:31 pm »
The last thing you want to do is stress your pigs before slaughter as it can affect the meat setting properly.

Get them used to the trailer before hand. If possible leave it with the tailgate down and let them have a nosy. Also practice moving them about with a stick and board in advance so they are happy to go where you want.
Feed them in there so they get a reward for going in. I would feed them in there the night before and leave them in so you don't have to worry on the morning. I wouldn't feed them on the morning of slaughter. Full tummies at slaughter time is not a good idea.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 08:31:58 pm »
We let the pigs get used to the trailer for a few days before 'the' day - we give them all their feed in the trailer so by the time it is loading day they are pretty much in the trailer waiting for the food!
As far as we are concerned anything that makes the whole thing less stressful for US will, by definition, mean it is less stressful for them.
Sometimes they are a bit reluctant to leave the trailer at the abattoir, but thankfully our slaughter house don't get fussed and they just allow us to take our time.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:43:50 pm »
Thank you. It was less than ideal tbh. We will try getting them use to the trailer then. Sounds like a plan

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:49:30 pm »
Meant to also say it is easier to put them all in and then let some out than try only to load some.

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 10:37:09 am »
We've only taken one lot to the abattoir so far, 2 GOS last Autumn - they went into the trailer fine as they would always follow a bucket, and when we got there they were fast asleep in the straw. The slaughter people had to wait while we woke them up, which they thought was hilarious. Then they followed another bucket to the pen where they waited their turn. Only a small handful of feed in the bucket though, just enough to rattle.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 01:11:43 pm »
I park the trailer up in the gate way and feed them in their for a couple of days before the day, and it works fine. 
I always find it hard getting the right pigs in the trailer when only some of the group are going.  I'll need to think of a new plan for that.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 01:19:20 pm »
I park the trailer up in the gate way and feed them in their for a couple of days before the day, and it works fine. 
I always find it hard getting the right pigs in the trailer when only some of the group are going.  I'll need to think of a new plan for that.

All into trailer and let out those you don't need

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 02:34:55 pm »
umm, I've tried that!  ???
I have a small trailer, and I can't stand up in it either, so it isn't easy to let the right ones out without the whole lot charging back out!!

I think I will try putting them in separate runs about a week before - but that might be just as complicated

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 04:29:06 pm »
umm, I've tried that!  ???
I have a small trailer, and I can't stand up in it either, so it isn't easy to let the right ones out without the whole lot charging back out!!

I think I will try putting them in separate runs about a week before - but that might be just as complicated

Ah yes, low trailers, that does make it harder on the knees and back.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 08:21:35 am »
We've been taking pigs to the abattoir regularly for about five years. Ours live outside in electric fenced pens all their lives so we have no effective way of containing them in a small area for loading except by throwing together something temporary out of hurdles etc. Here are some observations I've made.
If you have say, 10 pigs, in a group, and you want to load 3, then only the smallest three will go into the trailer.
Remember to turn the leccy fence off before they get a shock off the trailer ramp.
Make sure that you can actually drive away once loaded and are not stuck in the mud.
A porker will go where he wants to, despite anything you put in his way to stop him.
If you get stressed the pigs will sense this and will go out of their way to make your job harder.
All the above advice about feeding in the trailer is good but remember you'll always have the odd stressful loading no matter how many times you've done it. All this pales into insignificance compared to some of the scenes in the abattoir yard when the b******s won't come out of the trailer.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 10:04:59 am »
 Ah, yes.  This is why we always use a tall trailer instead of the low one - two people with a pig board behind a pig generally works in the end, albeit with a lot of shoving (and that's the pig).  We feed a bit of greenery the night before so the pigs aren't cross and hungry then lay a trail of apple chunks, old carrots or similar up the ramp - not feed as it takes too long for them to hoover up every last crumb as they ascend.  I put a pile of greenery at the back so they will proceed towards the smell.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 02:39:04 pm »

If you get stressed the pigs will sense this and will go out of their way to make your job harder.

This has really been brought home to me recently. My OH and i usually load and one of us takes them in, we too are entirely without handling facilities and it gets stressful, so we've had some very trying attempts.

Recently our trailer broke and another guy, who some here will know, has been taking them in for us. Loading with him has been a dream. Admittedly we have slightly better facilities in parts of the farm than others but i twigged a few days ago that he doesn't rush around or get stressed, just takes things as they come and the pigs are suitably calm.
Once we're on our own again i will be trying to calm things down...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS