Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly goat  (Read 6435 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Poorly goat
« on: May 07, 2010, 12:02:55 am »
Well, what did I say the other night about never having had a goat with fluke?

Noticed last night that Abel one of the Anglo Nubian boys, looked a bit swollen on his chest, between his front legs.  Quite often this area gets rubbed and sore looking if they lie out in the muddy field.  Tonight, there is a definite swelling there, and also his glands in his neck have swollen up, giving him a very strange appearance.

If you remember a while ago, both boys went lame with what I said was foot rot, and took ages to get over it.  Well, that can be a sign of fluke too.

I suppose the vet will be able to tell me if my diagnosis is right, will have to pop him in the van and go up after work tomorrow.  I suppose they will be checking for TB too, following on from the cows having it in our  fields.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Poorly goat
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:17:06 am »
Oh hope he's ok Roxy. Ouir first experience of fluke was quite scary when we had never had it before. Fingers crossed for him.

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:21:18 am »
Beth, I cannot believe how quick the symptoms have come on Abel.  I am now concerned about the other goat, and although my goats have been wormed with Panacur, obviously this will not control the fluke, so will have to drench both of them.  I honestly thought the foot rot was just that - caused by the horrible weather.  Never had a problem with foot rot before either.  Not seen any snails or slugs for ages, as we have had no rain ....but we did have a lot of wet weather a while back, and the field got wet and boggy in places.

There is always something to worry about when you have livestock.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 04:07:16 pm »
Got an appointment at the vets at 5pm.  Now just wondering how I manhandle the tall lanky Abel into the van.  And the added problem of his brother Cain, who has never been parted from him.  Cannot cope with both boys at the other end, as Abel will be bad enough with a strange person (well the vet I mean).  I hope Abel fits in the van - !!

The good thing is its not stopped him eating - he is eating grass and the leaves I am picking, so thats something.  Just looks rather strange with already having the large nubian nose, that his face is now twice the size.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 05:01:13 pm »
Doesn't your vet come out to goats?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:58:32 pm »
Hope the vet got some idea as to it being fluke or something else and you can get it sorted and goats will feel better soon.

I got fluke in my sheep flock out of the blue last spring, fortunately the worm count picked it up and I drenched with Fasimex at turn-out. Needed another dose late winter this year, and hopefully will not have any this year. But field has been wet and flooded, so I guess its worm counts for it sometime soon again...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:20:18 pm »
Oh yes, the vet will come out .....for £21.50 call out, plus the mileage charge, plus £20 for "examining the goat" thats before the drugs.  If the animal is not too ill, or its the ponies who need their jabs, we load them up and take them to save this call out fee.

Managed to get Abel loaded and to the vets.  It was one of the young lady vets.  Nice girl, but I think she had probably only dealt with pygmy goats before.  She said Abel was awfully tall - and that was him lay down in the van!!  He was very good while she listened to his breathing, and looked at his swollen  face.  She said it was not necessarily fluke - even though the symptoms were there.  But it was definitely liver damage of some sort. 

Abel has had an anibiotic jab, and a drench which covers fluke and worms.  I have brought the big container, which we had to open at the surgery, to dose the other goats in the field with him.  Vet said there is no guarantee he will pull through, as he is proper poorly, as they say - his membranes are very pale, so he is bleeding from somewhere she says.

But he is back home, with his brother, and ate his tea, and the leaves I got him.  And as I say, where there is life there is hope.

Poor old Cain followed us to the gate bleating, but when we got back he was sitting in his field shelter looking very upset about his missing brother, so heaven help us if Abel does not make it.  I know I have plenty of goats, but they are not the same as Abel!!

Vet did say the liver damage could be from when he was younger.  I did not have him until he was 18 months.  I think she was suggesting he may have ate ragwort or something. But the lady who had him, kept horses, and I know she would not intentionally leave this plant in her fields.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:24:30 pm »
Och Roxy let's hope the wee fella makes a full recovery, such a shame. The fact that he ate his dinner should hopefully be a good sign, isn't it funny how animals behave, poor Cain. :)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:29:55 pm »
It cost me £44.50 inlcluding the "examining the goat fee", but at least there was no call out as well.

It was an expensive trip though, as I ended up paying the bill for the pony I had castrated last week, and that was £200 with the drugs and the callout, and whatever.  So, don't want any more vet visits for a while if we can help it.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 11:32:25 pm »
This year, so Far, Roxy I have paid the vets almost £3000. I never want to have to see the vet for a long time now.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 11:37:09 pm »
Oooooh ......my bill seems small fry now, compared to yours, James!!!   Vets bills soon mount up, when they have to re visit, and use more drugs etc.  Vet has to come out again, to inject some of my ponies, and swab two mares before they go to the stallion, so there will be a hefty bill there as well. 

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 01:18:02 pm »
hope the medicine does its job  for the goats,
and there are no more huge bils for any of us!!
Little Blue

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 07:09:25 pm »
sorry roxy for your goat,
hope he recovers quickly sorry im not too well educated in this field for advice but i do
really hope he gets well soon.
langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 11:24:40 pm »
Well, Abel still has the giant swelling on his chest.  Yesterday, the swellng under his chin went down, but I am sure tonight it is filling up again :(
On the plus side, he is walking round the field, eating grass, and tucking into his bucket at breakfast and tea, so definitely not feeling sorry for himself.  So long as he does not look in pain, or distressed, I am happy to let him keep going, until his condition dictates otherwise.  That will give me time to think who to put in with Cain if the worst comes to the worst .......Cain is the dominant one of the partnership, and being Anglo Nubian is a big boy, so not much use giving him a pygmy as a new friend.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 11:29:40 pm »
Oh I hope he gets better  :( Fingers crossed for him.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS