Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New goat arrived yesterday....  (Read 3037 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
New goat arrived yesterday....
« on: May 10, 2010, 02:52:09 pm »
I have started Sunday with 6 goats in my movement book and ended up with 7... somehow. A fellow bee and goat keeper rang me to tell me that she had to rehome her goats in the local donkey sanctuary due to her losing her job and the cottage that came with it.... One of her goats died witin a wbeek in the sanctuary, proba bly due to poisoning, as shoe was walketd by some of the gi rls who volunteder here. Other goat wase now kept with a horneds (castrated) maule goat, hers were disbudded. S o I decidede that I should btake her goat out and r ehome her with me... Abtsolutely not my plan, as gooat(ling) is a cross betnween Anglo Nubinan and Golden Guernsey (AN is the only breed that cannot be used for breeding up to British Guernsey), and she can jump! Mine have so far not tried to get out of their paddock at all, this one jumped out of her pen inside the shed wihtin seconds of being put inside... Extra boards across the open side of her pen have sorted that for the meantime, but I every time I now bump my head when I try to get into her pen. She is being used to be walked on the lead quite well, so that's the plan until I can sort out the outer fencing.... Also my other goats are NOT amused at the new arrival...

Have now wondered all night if I did the right thing, but couldn't leave her in these unsuitable circumstances...

Can I breed up to British Nubian - if there is such a category... (also she is not even registered yet..., but I know her pedigree, as she comes from a known GG herd).

BUT SHE IS ABSOLUTELY LOVELY!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: New goat arrived yesterday....
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:58:25 pm »
Good for you Anke, I would have done exactly the same. Any pictures of the new arrival? I am sure she will settle down soon, she has been through quite a lot lately with the sounds of it.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 04:03:56 pm »
yes, good for you, hope the others accept her so she can settle...
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:21:46 pm »
Whahey! You have a proper goat now! You can breed her up to Anglo-Nubian, takes a few generations, but can be done. Who is the Anglo-Nubian part of her? I generally always have Nubian males, and so does Rebecca Torrence (mostly!). I would think it would be handy if you could take the GG goatling and the Nubian to Rebecca as well. How old is she? You will need to get her registered by the time she is 2 years old. 

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:26:16 pm »
Well done on taking the goat on - she will settle down once she gets used to her new home!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:40:30 pm »
I have just spoken to Lily's (original) breeder, and hopefully registration is still possible. She is out of Muircock Mallow (so the same herd as my GG's) and the sire is Sandcroft Sulaman, will try and find out/think about which way to breed from her. She is settling in, but somewhat disgruntled with the management, as the contents of her concentrate bucket have just been drastically reduced (she is a bit on the chubby side)... Those floppy ears being shaken will take some time to get used to... (AN ears and body, but mostly GG face and colour, she is bigger than my GG milker!)...

Managed to get my goatshed filled with goats in less than a year....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS