Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Complete home processing and meat sales set up  (Read 2677 times)

countrymum91

• Joined May 2016
Complete home processing and meat sales set up
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:20:21 pm »
Hi all, am new here!

I have a small holding in the SE of UK and currently have chickens (for eggs and our own table), pigs and soon to be turkeys.  I adore all my animals and feel the best way for them to be dispatched is at home on familiar territory.  We also feel this would benefit flavour.

We would love to start supplying beyond friends and family and understand that there are a good few rules we need to abide by and licenses required.

Would any of you kind people be able to answer my questions?

1) If I were to sell pork and turkey to the public, I know I need to process it onsite.  How much equipment needs to be brought in for this?  We have two kitchens but I am thinking that we will need to convert at least one stable or small barn into a paragon of Health and Safety (tiled walls, wipe clean floors, stainless steels and the like).  Has anyone done this who could shed some light on what you have done?

2)  Home slaughter.  I know I will need a license in order to dispatch myself.  But what other things will I need to make sure I have?  What are the H&S rules regarding where you can hang etc.  Who takes away the by products? 

We are located in Kent if this helps. 

Thanks in advance!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Complete home processing and meat sales set up
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:04:45 pm »
Unless you become a licenced slaughterhouse forget it.you will have to employ a vet, and spend 100s of thousands of pounds on kit.  There is a reason small slaughterhouses are closing left right and center. Sorry if this has burst a bubble but it's the reality of the situation.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Complete home processing and meat sales set up
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:42 pm »
You can only home slaughter for your own consumption otherwise as Verdifish says you would have to become a licenced slaughterhouse.

It is a big jump from rearing for yourself and supplying the public. Even supplying friends and family would be considered supplying the public. I would talk to your local authority about what you are thinking and they would advise on what you might need to do to bring your kitchen up to standard or converting an existing building fit for purpose.

I would work out how much meat you have the land, space, time etc to produce? Who your market will be and then do a very careful business plan.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS