Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vent  (Read 5020 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Vent
« on: April 29, 2016, 07:35:00 am »
Need to vent as I am fuming, I have a planning application in to extend my tiny barn. The new extension is lower than the current roof line thus not interfering with the roof also lower than the three bat boxes in the end gable wall.
Thus no need to spend £££ on unnecessary expensive Bat surveys.
I found some one had commented on my application as an observation. " This property may have European Protected Species present. Has a bat survey been carried out? "
I googled the persons name and they have a bat survey company, clearly trying to get more work for the bat fanatics. Why can't people mind there own bloody business rather than trolling in areas that don't concern them.
Vent over.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Vent
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:56:34 am »
It's literally their job to ask the question.

There is no accusation that you're bulldozing the bats, though I'd be concerned about disturbing them personally.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:13:06 pm »
There job to troll for work ? How does a new extension disturb bats ? If you are not touching the roof line etc its a new sealed roof under 10 years old.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 02:34:44 pm »
Surprise surprise I now am being forced to waste money on a bat survey.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 03:06:30 pm »
Well at least you already have a contact for somebody who can do the work!  :innocent:

(very, very sorry - just couldn't help myself  :surrender:)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 04:56:19 pm »
why do you have to pay for the bat survey? If they wanted to do it, or seem to think there is a need for it why can't they dip into their own pockets and cough up for it? I think they probably think it is their business and that you might be disturbing the bats from their resting place.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 07:30:56 am »
why do you have to pay for the bat survey? If they wanted to do it, or seem to think there is a need for it why can't they dip into their own pockets and cough up for it? I think they probably think it is their business and that you might be disturbing the bats from their resting place.

Sadly thats not the way it works, you are forced to pay for things you might not need to tick a box. Frankly its a joke. The annoying thing is I will not be disturbing any bats as there is no resting place on my barn.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 08:54:03 am »
Out of interest then, how much is a survey going to cost you?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 09:27:46 am »
Just make sure you use a different company to the one that put in the objection. It will still be galling doing the survey but at least they won't profit.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

pointer

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Hebrides
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 11:16:40 am »
Is it the planning authority requiring a bat survey? Ask them to clarify how they consider that a bat roost might be disturbed by your proposal.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 08:40:36 pm »
Is it the planning authority requiring a bat survey? Ask them to clarify how they consider that a bat roost might be disturbed by your proposal.
This is what the councils ecologist has said.  I have also reviewed the previous application and considered the site context.
It is now nearly 9 years since the previous survey was undertaken and several years since the building was converted. The mitigation strategy for the conversion noted several elements of bat mitigation which could be affected directly and indirectly by the proposals; e.g. slits on the north gable will be lost, ridge tiles will be extremely close to the areas where works would be undertaken and there could be arising disturbance issues.

Therefore, it is considered that a bat survey undertaken in accordance with best practice is required to inform the application. The survey should commence with an inspection by an appropriately experienced ecologist but it is highly likely that activity surveys would also be required.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 06:39:39 pm »
Sorry to hear that SWB. We have a good bat surveyor here in LLANDINAM. I don't know where exactly you are in a wales so they may not be very local.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 01:54:25 pm »
Here is a site where folk tend to be real folk , who  like to express their true feelings     This bit is about bats .. some amusing comments and some horror stories too .

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1289201
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS