Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transporting pigs  (Read 4551 times)

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
Transporting pigs
« on: April 24, 2016, 05:27:03 pm »
Can anyone recommend me a transport company to move pigs from the Midlands to Scotland and an idea on cost??

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: Transporting pigs
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:22:55 pm »
Whereabouts in Scotland?  That'll have quite an effect on the cost.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:47:58 pm »
And how many pigs are we talking about? 

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:49:37 pm »
And what age and what breed?

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 09:09:38 pm »
Looking for a couple of 'in pig' sows or gilts in GOS or Berkshire. I live up in the Highlands of Scotland and although happy to travel to central Scotland, a lot of what I would like to buy are from down south!!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 10:10:30 pm »
So you would need someone with a trailer rather than the costs of a professional livestock transporter? 

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 07:04:51 am »
There is (or used to be, I have a feeling he may have sold his sows on to someone else now) a GOS herd in Caithness - I had a couple of weaners from him a few years back, lovely pigs.  http://caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=1804

Alternatively, the Sizzling Pig hog roast people up here raise their own rare breed pigs and might be able to help:  http://caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=2208

Gregoz

• Joined May 2015
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 12:25:49 pm »
I guess so Verdifish...
Thanks CarolineJ

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 02:05:05 pm »
I guess so Verdifish...
Thanks CarolineJ

Pm me.

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2016, 12:35:24 pm »
So you would need someone with a trailer rather than the costs of a professional livestock transporter?

Assuming it is over 8 hours journey time you need someone with a Type 2 Transporter Authorisation and appropriate qualification, which is a bit more than your average farmer / small holder is likely to have.

I'd guess a professional livestock company based either close to you or close to the location you are buying from would be the best bet but unless they happen to be doing the journey anyway I'd say its gonna cost £££

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 02:00:32 pm »
It will be costly whatever you do and what about getting them into pig in the future? Should you be looking into purchasing a boar at the same time?

If you are buying from good stock and they have any contacts who are showing pigs one possibility might be someone fetching them back to Scotland after a show and then you collecting from them? Talk to the breeder.

Obviously if a transporter is being used I would like to know they know about handling pigs especially in pig ones. Other than that pigs travel well once loaded.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 02:13:07 pm »
Have you checked out the Breeder's section of the Gloucestershire Old Spots Pig Breeder's Club website (gospbc)?  I sold breeding quality registered females to two breeders in Scotland last year - one near Edinburgh and one in the Highlands.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS