Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home charcuterie - courses and curing cabinets  (Read 4482 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Home charcuterie - courses and curing cabinets
« on: April 16, 2016, 11:50:10 am »
I have seen the threads on air dried ham but we would love to have a go at salami and chorizo. Previous efforts have been unsuccessful due to damp climate ( N Wales????) and too much fat in the meat. Ideally we would like to attend a course to learn rather than following a book. Has anyone attended a good course on the subject and does anyone gave instructions for building a home curing cabinet?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Home charcuterie - courses and curing cabinets
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 02:27:48 pm »
We did the River Cottage 2 day course a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Run by Steven Lamb.  Since then we have regularly done our own bacon and air dried ham.  It is not a cheap course but the quality of the meal and tastings is very high so if you can afford it well worth it.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 03:03:20 pm »
There's a very helpful group on Facebook if you are an FB'er - Sausage Debauchery (!) And they also have a very informative website:
http://www.eatthepig.com/

We have made both salami and chorizo - a good book is the Ruhlmann one on charcuterie. Weschenfelder sell casings, salts and spices and has basic instructions.

We made a curing cabinet out of an old fridge and have used it for a year. As we have enjoyed the experience we are now upgrading to a tall glass fronted fridge which OH will mod with temperature and humidity controllers.

I didn't do a course as such - just followed instructions and asked questions - quite a few on here and also on Sausage Debauchery's page. Go for it  :excited:

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 03:14:37 pm »
Thank you both. Just bought the river cottage curing book. Think we will give this another concerted effort!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 07:51:55 pm »
Chorizo is a must! 

We made a hanging cupboard which is in the garage out of an old cupboard, with the panels kicked in (yes - that was my job  :excited: ) and replaced with fly screening (cheap off eBay). I hang stuff off butchers hooks on the rails, and use the shelf for stacking my home made cheese too!  Good luck!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 01:39:46 am »
I'm in liquid sunshine South Wales UK I air dry my salami etc outside inside an adapted 310 litre food grade plastic barrel with a slack handful of holes and an access door on the side of it to allow me to reach inside & hang produce off the rail on meat hooks .

Your best friends in air drying are an  accurate  set of digital scales , a note book & pencil to record the weight losses of the treated food you put in your dryer & a calculator if you can't work out percentages using the metric system of grams & kilo grams  .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 07:37:02 am »
Thank you. Blue barrels seem to have a million uses. Well pigs are fattening so soon we can put the advice into practice
Can't wait!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS