NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: What causes bloat?  (Read 31562 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: What causes bloat?
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2016, 07:10:51 pm »
checked out the website for Mapperton House...looks idyllic....will definitely visit if I am in the area.
Voss Electric Fence

Emmatread

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2016, 08:28:51 pm »
Does anyone know whether a sheep/older lamb with bloat will still urinate or pass faeces?
Thanks x

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2016, 12:47:31 pm »
it looked very like one of my ewes had bloat last night , she lambed 5 weeks ago. She seemed happy enough, still nobbling grass but she was enormous, she was still passing urine and faeces so decided to leave her until this morning with my son doing regular checks on her during the night. This morning she is completely back to normal, I do have a lot of grass and my ewes are all very fat.
Anne

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:31 pm »
I think it will depend on the severity of the bloat.  If the rumen has stopped completely, then the rest of the digestion will stop also, and pooing will stop.  But they could still be pooing as bloat gets started, so I don't think you would use seeing it poo as a diagnostic to say it's not bloat.

If it has stopped pooing, and you treat the bloat, and it starts pooing again, then that's a very good sign, of course.

Not urinating would be very serious; that would indicate that the kidneys have packed up.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cow, beef cattle, pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2016, 01:49:25 pm »
Not urinating would be very serious; that would indicate that the kidneys have packed up.
Or it has bladder stones and a blockage.
Absolutely essential that a sheep/goat/cat/dog that is not urinating see a vet asap, as a blocked urethra can rupture or a blocked bladder can cause raised potassium in the blood and heart to slow/stop. Very rapidly fatal in either of these instances.

wildorchardfarm

• Joined Jan 2016
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2017, 03:12:04 pm »
Hi there. I am new to keeping sheep but my main concern in starting is worry about bloat. I have the option of purchasing some shetland sheep.I planted a new pasture this year and it is very clover rich. It has 11 different grasses and other herbs in too but its the clover and weeds that have taken over. Please see picture attached.
Its taken me a while to get an electric fence set up, i would like to be rotationally grazinv sheep and goats around the 10 acre field outdoors all year. But! A local farmer has scared me saying he wouldnt put sheep on it as its too rich for them. I have read that you can inyroduce them to a different diet gradually putting them on pasture for a limited time, bring them out, watch for bloat and have remedies at the ready. This thread is giving me hope...thanks for all the information. Im just asking now for encouragement to start doing this or if you think im aski g for trouble. I do have another field with v short yorkshire fog as a back up but its the new pasture i really want eaten.
Thanks rosie

greggy

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 02:15:40 pm »
Dont take what I say as gospel, but I would put *mine* in there, first for half hr or so, then back out to other feed paddock with what they are used too, same again next day, then an hr, then 2 etc etc...after 7/10 days or so, they should be used too it.

We are in drought, so I am basically moving them like this from hand feed paddock, to pasture, smash it down in a small area, then move on. It is very hands on though.

Help! Possible bloat?

Started by MudJunkie

Replies: 4
Views: 2608
Last post May 30, 2012, 08:59:15 pm
by jaykay
Bloat? Help!

Started by Jukes Mum

Replies: 9
Views: 2471
Last post May 19, 2014, 02:54:54 pm
by sarahdean_66
ewe with bloat

Started by kanisha

Replies: 2
Views: 1353
Last post April 21, 2015, 07:07:18 am
by kanisha
Tried everything for bloat please help!

Started by Emrys

Replies: 0
Views: 699
Last post March 21, 2017, 06:37:01 pm
by Emrys
Is this bloat?

Started by mmuagain

Replies: 0
Views: 534
Last post March 21, 2017, 09:48:28 am
by mmuagain

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS