Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help lamb with bloat!  (Read 8979 times)

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Help lamb with bloat!
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 12:17:20 pm »
The disease needs aggressive treatment, rather than "some antibiotics and water"

Then it's WBF's vet that you take issue with?

It's very easy to post advice on the forum, but are you really expecting the OP and other members to take advice from a relative stranger on a forum rather than that of the vet who is in attendance?

You might well be right in your diagnosis and the treatment required, but we do not recommend that anyone takes the advice of a member on here over that of their own vet.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 01:23:32 pm »
Fair point, well made.
However, I find it frustrating when someone seeks advice on a forum then does their own thing.
I'd say seeking your vets advice is ideal best practice. If unhappy with the outcome following the vets advice, seek a second opinion as not all vets are as experienced with certain species or conditions.
If not improving after a night of treatment, it may be worth seeing the vet again, or getting advice from someone with more experience of curing the problem in question.
I have made suggestions for further treatment than offered by the vet, which have not been investigated before euthanasia has been mentioned.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 01:34:54 pm »
Fair point, well made.
However, I find it frustrating when someone seeks advice on a forum then does their own thing.
I'd say seeking your vets advice is ideal best practice. If unhappy with the outcome following the vets advice, seek a second opinion as not all vets are as experienced with certain species or conditions.
If not improving after a night of treatment, it may be worth seeing the vet again, or getting advice from someone with more experience of curing the problem in question.
I have made suggestions for further treatment than offered by the vet, which have not been investigated before euthanasia has been mentioned.

Thank you. We fully understand and share the frustration, we just needed to be clear about the role TAS has.

In situations like this if you're willing to offer individual advice you could maybe also contact the OP in private via PM where help may be more easily given and received?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 01:59:35 pm »
when he gave her the AB he said because she was so young that there was a considerably high chance that she would die. I had to keep her hydrated after that, as hydration helps to expel the disease aswell as the ABs. I came here to ask other peoples opinions though I didnt expect it to end up in an arguement. I did what I could for her to the best of my ability so I have to cut my losses and get on with the rest of lambing. On the positive side her sibling is doing very well and I have had loads more healthy lambs. She did have more ABs but no response
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:36:26 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 02:34:40 pm »
I offered advice, as a vet I have cured lambs with this regime, but if you won't listen, it's a shame the lamb has had to suffer and die.
she was given  more ABs. The lamb was in some discomfort but it has not suffered and died.  The vet tried his best but she wouldnt respond to the ABs, so she had to be put to sleep
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:51:07 pm »
In situations like this if you're willing to offer individual advice you could maybe also contact the OP in private via PM where help may be more easily given and received?
Nooooooooooo this sort of advise is great for us sheep plebs to learn from and look back on. Noone likes fall-outs but advice from a knowledgeable vet could save a future TASers lamb  :fc:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 02:55:32 pm »
Nooooooooooo this sort of advise is great for us sheep plebs to learn from and look back on. Noone likes fall-outs but advice from a knowledgeable vet could save a future TASers lamb  :fc:

That's why I said 'also'. The general advice in a thread like this is great for all to learn from, but in specific, individual circumstances a more detailed to-and-fro may be needed, and that *may* be best done by PM or phone especially when time is of the essence.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 04:25:22 pm »
 :relief:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 01:17:35 pm »
I'd say seeking your vets advice is ideal best practice.

Absolutely!  However, more often than not, I spot problems with my animals in the evening, and if it's not an emergency, I can often find the answers to my questions via a quick forum search or post. This means I can either save a call to the vet entirely, or can be far more clued up in what I'm saying to them the next morning.

I find it frustrating when someone seeks advice on a forum then does their own thing.

Hmmm, if I always followed all the advice I read on the internet, I'd be dead by now, and so would my animals! 

I get your point though, and it IS frustrating when people are told they need to see a vet, but then don't do it or delay the call due to cost or whatever.

However, vets aren't infallible, particularly when it comes to less familiar animals such as poultry. Our vet prescribed us some goose wormer last week with the message "this is all we've got I'm afraid. Let us know if you need more and we'll order it in for you". However, when I got home and read the label I realised that the bottle contained enough to treat eighty geese, rather than the eight I'd asked for.  The reason?  Decimal point in the wrong place!  ;)

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS