Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help lamb with bloat!  (Read 8962 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Help lamb with bloat!
« on: April 11, 2016, 03:31:46 pm »
I brought a lamb in not long ago, born yesterday one of twins, it was sat hunched in the field, I saw them this morn and she was fine (it had suckled a lot yesterday and was very lively) it is still quite lively but I had to bring it in due to it not being mothered properly and it was cold; When I brought it in I discovered that it had bloat, I myself have always had someone else treat this for me, however they're not here atm, and never a lamb of a day and a half having bloat. Could anyone tell me why this is the case and how to sort this out? I have sent off a question to these people, but I don't know yet when they will reply http://www.srvs.co.nz/ask-a-vet-g-103.html
Please help guys I need to know now what can I do? I have frantically searched everywhere and its just hopeless. I don't know how to stomach tube lambs, which was one suggestion and i haven't got a tube, can i give her oil at all or is she too young. I know people use antibiotics, which I want to do to kill the bacteria, but what antibiotic do you use and how do i get the air out!!!!!!???????
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 04:04:15 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Help lamb with bloat!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 04:20:32 pm »
Is there anyone who can help you tube her?
I don't know how to link, but there are some good advice posts below this post
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 04:22:43 pm »
As a vet, I would say at a day and a half, having been on mum not a bottle, it's probably not bloat, but more likely watery mouth/water belly. This is an e coli infection and needs aggressive treatment with antibiotics, enemas, warming, electrolyte solution for feeding little and often and still often won't make it. I'd take it straight to the vet for help if you don't know what you're doing if you want it to survive.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:17:33 pm by fsmnutter »

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 04:43:13 pm »
My instincts would be to check if lamb is pooing / peeing ok in case it's a blockage or things not joined up properly internally or if has no anus. Is the lamb wet under the chin sign of watery mouth requires vet treatment (orajet) It could also have other possibility's eg. pneumonia  which require vet treatment.   It would be best to phone your vet. Your doing the right thing by warming it up, once warm it should start to take milk unless it's got infection which needs vet treatment and you may have to get someone  to tube small amounts of milk.                                                                                                                                                   

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 05:30:43 pm »
A professional has just come in and has given her some antibiotics, For now I am going to watch her and keep her hydrated. She didn't have watery mouth at all, possibly watery belly. She wasn't bunged up at all, but her poos where a bit runny and sticky. She has had yoghurt and water too and is hydrated. I'm just hoping that she makes it :gloomy: :gloomy:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 08:28:07 pm »
A professional?  Professional motor racing driver?  Diver?  Pilot?  Vet?  Shepherd? 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 08:31:32 pm »
Vet and shepherd friend. He diagnosed her with watery belly and is giving her the correct treatment, I only hope she gets better.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:35:35 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 08:52:49 pm »
Please keep us posted. A good learning thread for me this.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

RBHP

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 08:33:32 am »
Good luck with the lamb...

And boy some people can be rude!
Hunting Terriers

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 10:23:57 am »
Won't the jogurt have an adverse affect? 

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 10:36:27 am »
no the guy said the yoghurt would help and it has helped in times past with cases of watery belly. No change this morning so I am going to have her put to sleep. Its just so annoying she had colostrum when born and her twin is fine. I guess these things just happen. All the other sheep and lambs are healthy including mom and sibling. What a depressing thing to happen :gloomy: :'(

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 11:56:32 am »
I offered advice, as a vet I have cured lambs with this regime, but if you won't listen, it's a shame the lamb has had to suffer and die.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 11:59:14 am »
So with an absolute maximum of 24hrs treatment you give up?   :yuck:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 12:02:18 pm »
I offered advice, as a vet I have cured lambs with this regime, but if you won't listen, it's a shame the lamb has had to suffer and die.

I may be missing something here but WBF's post saying the vet had been in attendance was just over an hour after your first post. So in what way weren't you listened to?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 12:09:03 pm »
The disease needs aggressive treatment, rather than "some antibiotics and water"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS