Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vicious cockerel  (Read 17285 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Vicious cockerel
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 08:26:51 am »
Isn't it odd that even the tiniest cockerel can intimidate a fully grown human! I have a Dutch bantam cockerel who terrorises me----and he knows it! ;D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 08:40:16 am »
I got my Penny and Poppy as young ones - so happy to have hens, hubby said we can have hen's as long as no cockerel. Of course Penny grew up into a hen and Poppy into a very handsome cockerel - my routine was to feed my birds of prey then put some tea time treat out for Penny and Poppy but found Poppy would attack just as I was trying to unlatch doors - so then they got their treats first and things seemed to calm down - they had to stay with my mother-in-law for a year when we sold up and rented and there he spent all his time chasing pheasants. Now he's a bit older about 9-10 and seems to have calmed
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 10:40:37 am »
I don't want to talk too soon but so far so good. He has ade himself "Large" at me but not attacked. Fingers crossed he has learnt his lesson.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 09:30:08 pm »
Well today Charlie has not attacked me. He has thought about it but always changed his mind so I am hoping yesterdays lesson has taught him a lesson. He does seem to "cock a doodle do" much more often when he see's me but that's ok. Please let that be an end to our friction. :chook:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 07:23:10 am »
That's really good - it would be a shame to get rid of him especially as he's only doing his job - my Hubby would have gladly got rid of Poppy, now they're on speaking terms!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 07:33:36 am »
I don't know if when it came down to it I could actually have got rid of him, he is a very handsome chap and I do like hearing him. But would prefer it if I didn't have holes in my legs caused by him attacking me!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 08:04:43 am »
It was quite a while ago when Poppy was attacking but we had the added problem of me being very frisky and aggressive with the girls, that they would actually get cuts where her gripped so we did spatate him for a while from is girls, much to his annoyance but for their sake.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 09:09:21 am »

I do love these typing errors had to laugh at the thought of you being frisky and agressive with your hens  :o ;D
Anne

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:22 am »
oops - ok spell check doesn't help on those does it - HE was frisky - although I can't remember if I was!!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 06:13:26 pm »
48 hours later and the bugger is up to his old tricks again! :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:34 pm »
Try the water pistol, James!  Jamie took off after my pup just now as she was chasing the white hen, then he saw me coming to Bobby's defence with the water pistol and ran after the hen instead and jumped on her back.  You could almost hear him say 'I wasn't going to touch your effing dog, honest, missus!' ;) ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 06:27:55 pm »
Thanks for the laugh, I will give it a try. ::)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 03:39:31 pm »
I have tried the water pistol method and throwing a smallish bucket of water at him and again the bugger has just attacked me. This time he broke my temper so off to find the gloves and then we had it out. I grabbed him again and held his head down explaining to him that I was the boss and his behaviour must change, will it do thre trick this time?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 03:56:30 pm »
My bird seems very sweet compared to yours James, he gives me no trouble. I came up with a great idea for catching the birds to check them over, Henry our cockerel seems to know when I plan to do this and would scatter everyone. I bought from my local garden centre a net that is used on fish ponds. It has a long adjustable poll and all I do is wait until the birds are in, less stress for everyone plus the bird gets a nice pet after the job is done and does not seem to be upset.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 05:10:51 pm »
Sabrina he has become so bad and it seems only to be me that he dislikes. My vet has told me that if it gets worse then he really has to go but I would hate that. He truely is a gorgeous boy too and he knows it. I will give him another few weeks and see how things go after todays fight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS