Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vicious cockerel  (Read 17222 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Vicious cockerel
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:45:55 am »
For the millionth time I have just been attacked by Charlie, my cockerel. This time though he has drawn blood from my leg on 2 different places and I want to kill the bugger. I have read if you grab their crop and hold their head down on the ground that can do the trick but there is no way I am going any closer to this terrorist any other way apart from the obvious?

HappyHippy

Re: Vicious cockerel
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:27:38 am »
My granny had a bantam cockrel that was the same  ::) Her solution (cos she couldn't bear the thought of killing ANYTHING ::)) - was to put a big bucket over him with a brick on top when she went to collect eggs, clean them out etc  ;D ;D ;D
I'm not for a minute suggesting you do that  ;) but you could throw a big sheet/towel over him and grab him that way. Alternatively a pair of thigh high wellies (like fishermen wear) would stop him drawing blood. I don't have any solutions for taming him though. It could just be that it's springtime and he's feeling extra feisty (or twitterpated as my kids call it - blame Disney's Bambi) maybe he'll calm down a bit in a few weeks.
Let us know how you get on & good luck
Karen x
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 09:29:28 am by HappyHippy »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:51:50 am »
My granny had a bantam cockrel that was the same  ::) Her solution (cos she couldn't bear the thought of killing ANYTHING ::)) - was to put a big bucket over him with a brick on top when she went to collect eggs, clean them out etc  ;D ;D ;D
I'm not for a minute suggesting you do that  ;) but you could throw a big sheet/towel over him and grab him that way. Alternatively a pair of thigh high wellies (like fishermen wear) would stop him drawing blood. I don't have any solutions for taming him though. It could just be that it's springtime and he's feeling extra feisty (or twitterpated as my kids call it - blame Disney's Bambi) maybe he'll calm down a bit in a few weeks.
Let us know how you get on & good luck
Karen x

Right now Karen I can think of a better use for that BRICK!!! ha ha

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 11:16:32 am »
there will only be one solution to his behaviour. think if he drew blood on you what he would do on a small child. there are chilled out cockerels out there swap him for one and have a chicken pie.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:21:23 pm »
Some chooky folk do go by the holding down for a minute to teach them who is in control,after all the cockerels are only doing their job. They say it works,never had a nasty cockerel though to try it myself. We had a call to cull a cockerel the other day as it attacked a teenager but when she said it doesnt attack if she feeds it we said feed it then and it has been fine since ::)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 07:10:21 pm »

I have one just like that too, he is fine all winter but as soon as spring is in the air he turns into Dr Jekyll or is it Mr Hyde. He has gotten away with it for a few years now but now my little grandaughter is going in to collect eggs I think that he will have to go. You can never turn your back on him, he went for me last time I was cleaning out the nesting boxes (with a shovel in my hand )he didn't bother me again that day.Like you I don't fancy trying to catch him but will go into the hen house at night and grab him then.
Anne

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 08:51:27 pm »
Mine is attacking to. must be something in Fife air.
what kind is he. would you like a replacement as i got a bantam partridge wyandotte, very handsome but starting to fight with his brother.
However they are same size as my layers so look good with them

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 08:58:14 pm »
Jamie has been the same of late.  If I go into the shed too soon and a hen is still on the nest and they squawk, he comes running.  I just turn away from him and go about my business as usual, but he did go for me once. It does worry me that he might go for my grandchildren though as they love going to speak to the hens.  He also crows very loudly, and a neighbour has complained, so he is on parole.  This is his first Spring as an adult, and I worry he might get worse.  Carol has said she'll take him away so I am considering it.  But I am torn as I really like having him around - he is a stunning bird.  He is a Light Sussex, is it your LS that is attacking you James?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:40:01 pm »
I think even the quiet cockerels go through this sort of behaviour during the Spring.  Even Les, one of my pekin cockerels, who is as placid as can be usually, has started jumping at my boots when I am in the field.......if h does it again, he will find himself launched down the field :D

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:07 am »
Yes Annie, he is a Light Sussex. I too like to hear the noise that he makes and he is a beautiful animal, tonight when I went in he stayed away - let's hope he has got the message.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:23:35 am »
James, just out of interest, does your cockerel attack you when you are carrying something?  I used to have a maran cockerel, that was fine, unless I went in the field carrying a sack, bucket or whatever.  He did not go for what I was carrying, it was just me!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 06:37:14 am »
James, just out of interest, does your cockerel attack you when you are carrying something?  I used to have a maran cockerel, that was fine, unless I went in the field carrying a sack, bucket or whatever.  He did not go for what I was carrying, it was just me!

Hi Roxy. If I am carrying something no he doesn't attack, he does sometimes threaten to and makes himself big. I think he gets enjoyment out of toying with me. Mind you when I am carrying something it tends to be a rake or something as I intend to push him away from me and that scares him. I have to say that he doesn't attack me every time he sees me, in his defence and when we first got him he was well behaved so I do believe it is seasonal. Away to let them out now and see how I get on.

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 01:24:02 pm »
Mine is attacking to. must be something in Fife air.

i second the idea of the fife air, My wee bantam cockeral s turning into a wee sh** when ever you go into the pen and any of the girls start clucking (or not for that matter) he lauches up at you attacking above the waist.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 05:38:19 pm »
I tried booting Jamie away and he just came back at me again.  But I have the solution!!!!! 
A water pistol (6 in a party pack from poundland or other cheapiE shops, maybe even TESCO)  a few squirts of water and he's off!  Biut I can his bedady eyes watcking the hand with the pistol, and his head on oen side ready to duck!  But it is working!!!!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 06:03:27 pm »
Well I think tonight I won the battle but it remains to be seen if I have won the war. I went out to feed everyone and he was out free ranging, I had no idea where he was. Until that is he attached himself to the back of my leg, I didn't see a thing until it was too late. So, after chasing him I finally grabbed hold of him and held his head to the ground for what seems like ages and he was not happy. Now he is staying out of my road but we will have to wait and see how long a memory he has. I am hopeful that this will be the end of his nonsense, once and for all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS