Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best dog for family?  (Read 9621 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Best dog for family?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 11:15:27 am »
We have just got a schnauzer poodle cross who seems very sweet. She's certainly much calmer than other puppies I have had.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 11:19:27 am »
I'll get shot down in flames... but I've yet to meet a Poodle cross I didn't really love.  They've all seemed to be happy, friendly, people-oriented, really super dogs.  I'd have gladly given a home to every one of them.

Never met one without problems.

We have and have had terriers, sheepdogs, lurchers, labs, german pointer, german shepherd and a deerhound. All are absolutely fine with children. Train the dog and don't forget to train the child!

It boils down to personal preference but I would say something smooth coated so less work when muddy as children are bad enough to keep clean! 

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 03:24:29 pm »
Thanks for your replies! Short post as gotta go -
Not really thought about breeds like corgis or poodles much. Husband doesn't like labs, think he's known too many untrained jumpy ones. I could easily go for one. Maybe smooth coat should be a priority!
Thanks x

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 03:28:28 pm »
Something else to think about. Whether you want a dog that sheds or not. The advantage of a non-shedding dog is obvious but then you need to have them clipped, which doesn't come cheap, or do it yourselves.

Now that I have had a non-shedding dog I wouldn't want to go back to one which sheds though.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 04:20:32 pm »
I'll add to that, then, that the poodle crosses won't all be non-shedders - and, as I understand it, you won't know if yours is or isn't until it's a good few months old.  So if not shedding is important, it might be best to get a pure Poodle, or one of the other non-shedding breeds.  (There are some others, aren't there?)

On short coat vs longer, it's also how thick a coat - the Lab is a short coat but with a double coat they shed for the United Kingdom.   ::)

If you want a really short coat, there's the smooth Viszla.  I've only known one, but he was a super dog.  Ad the Weimeraner too, also very short-coated.  (Think I misspelled that one.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 05:39:14 pm »
Golden Retriever ?
Retriever cross? (see Black Retriever X rescue - some cracking dogs and very well assessed for the right homes)

Cocker Spaniel (show type normally calmer than working)
Clumber Spaniel? (def not wired!!!)
Setters are brill with kids, but a bit challenging with the recall!

Whatever you chose - there are great variations in each breed, so lots of research needed (as you are doing  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: )
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 05:58:39 pm »
Bryn has a short coat - it's like Tefal BUT it's a double coat and atm he looks like his stuffing is coming out  :eyelashes:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 08:21:00 pm »
Pictures please Rosemary!

I clip my spaniel from time to time. I met a setter cross lab last year who was lovely.

Golden retrievers are beautiful happy dogs. They seem to be a favourite of American families. Don't know what a clumer spaniel is, will have to look them up. Will have a look into retriever cross website, just to see!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 09:12:39 am »
Pictures please Rosemary!

This is Dan's album of photos on FB https://www.facebook.com/danchamp/media_set?set=a.10152999244755583.706765582&type=3

They're not that up to date but he's still cute as a button  :love:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 07:38:17 am »
Cute!  :trophy:

Faye.Lear

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2016, 12:12:52 pm »
I have a GSD, JRT and Pomeranian, my sister has a working cocker spaniel. - All fantastic working dogs and pets. After working in a kennels for 6 years, I'd say the most energetic of any breed is your cocker spaniel and any spaniel crossbreeds, although having said that Collies are particularly spritely, but wouldn't be my first choice around children.

Its all about how you bring him/her up in the family home :)

PipSqueak

• Joined Apr 2014
  • South West Carmarthenshire
    • Black Orchard
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 01:29:38 pm »
Rather than looking for a specific breed, I would work out exactly what your requirements are and how much time you have for training, exercise etc, then go and speak to your local rescue. They will have done a thorough temperament assessment on all their dogs, and will not want them to bounce back, so will find one suited to you. I have known a number of puppies come from the breeder with issues - at least at a rescue the dogs have been properly assessed and are generally old enough for any issues to be apparent.
Good luck whatever you decide on!

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 01:00:26 am »
Good advice from Pipsqueek.  Also, from a rescue you could get an adult dog, so none of the puppy problems you might otherwise have (cute though they are)

Thinking of breeds, I'd recommend a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They're very calm and accepting and love a fuss.  Not sure about trainability, but don't see they'd be any harder than a Springer. 

My collie has been a fantastic family pet for older children: she retrieves and is obedient, very accepting and they found she made a good pillow when watching TV on the floor. She has none of the hyper thing collies are famed for, but I've heard collies will sometimes try to "herd" smaller children.  We also have long haired Chihuahuas who are the most wonderful little dogs: devoted and affectionate with lots of bounce and play, but they are too delicate for smalls to haul around and tread on!

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 06:29:15 pm »
This is just homework; I'm interested in what people think and wondered if there were breeds that I'd overlooked (like poodles!). I'm not adverse to an older dog but am not a fan of rescue centres. I volunteered in one and have had family and friends who've worked in others. I saw neglect (dogs not walked for days while we all sat and had our 3rd cuppa and biscuits of the morning), paper work doctored for breed mixtures, age and temperament to make them seem more attractive, and the favourite dogs that were kept in the office and never available for rehoming even when people asked for them specifically. At the other end of the spectrum, those that require new owners not to have children, jobs, etc. Aparantly they didn't walk my spaniel because 'he pulled on the lead too much'.  This stuff was years ago, and I'm sure they're all different and change anyway, but not sure I'd bet a new dog on it. I'll visit them and see nearer the time if I like the people who run rescues round here, but I'm not a fan. (Ps. Have rehomed 8 rescue cats from rescue centres, and had 2 2nd hand dogs; I'm not a pedigree snob!   ;D)   
 I am told that the breed specific rescues tend to be a lot more down to earth.   I do have a friend who has a friend who runs a rescue nr Glasgow, and given a bit of time came up with a perfect German shepherd for her.

Maybe a little bit bigger than a King Charles spaniel..? I'll have to find one to go and meet. Although just read back to Faye.Lear's comment, maybe I should rule out all spaniels (he wears me out, especially now he's deaf, but SO good with my little boy).
I'd really like a chihuahua some day, but prob not for a few decades yet (it'll be post GSD and that's not on the cards yet).

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 02:26:02 pm »
There's a lot of great dogs out there: yorkie, min poodle, chihuahua, shi tzu, tibetan, italian greyhound f'r intstance at the small end. The the terriers... lakeland, cairn. westie, border et al. Then the slighty large CKCS, the other spaniels, bull terrier, corgis, whippet... then the retrievers, vizla, weimerana, pointers, setters, GSD going on to the afghan, deerhounds, woflhounds, danes, Bearnese, Bernards....And the other 300 breeds

Chihuahua as a family pet has one problem. The story of the lady who wanted a mexican hairless dog and her friend bought her a chihuahua. So she went to the chemist to buy a strong depilatory and explained to the chemist that she needed to get rid of all the hair on her chihuahua. The rest of the story isn't a family story....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS