Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What about this dog as a worker?  (Read 2398 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
What about this dog as a worker?
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:20:48 pm »
This one I am very interested in, but not entirely sure, I am quite wary of free to good home. What do you guys think?
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/115196408/young-sheepdog-needing-a-home.html?link=%2Fsearch%3Fkeyword%3Dwanted%2Bsheep
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: What about this dog as a worker?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 03:36:30 pm »
I have no experience with sheepdogs so I'm not much use to you but she does look lovely
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »
She looks lovely and has sane eyes! I would go see her and spend some time with her... see her inside the house and outside etc get a good feel for what her temperament is like! Let us know :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 04:41:38 pm »
You will know as well as I do that a working collie type offered Free to Good Home is quite possibly being rehomed due to snapping at children and/or chasing livestock.

So by all means follow it up, but make sure you have the chance to assess her behaviour in this regard yourself before you are committed.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:49 pm »
Something's dodgy.
If she were any use, she'd have a price tag. In fact, many people desperate to rehome are advised to put some nominal price on the animal to put off impulsive people or dog fighters  :-[

Can't really tell anything from a cute photo and a few sentences. Go and see her, see her around the home, see her with kids, in the car, with livestock, etc etc.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 09:26:44 pm »
If they don't have sheep how do they know she is keen on sheep????  Been running off chasing the local sheep perhaps?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:10:25 pm »
I've only just read the description. 

She's clearly been chasing sheep, and the owners are hoping someone will take her on for a farm dog - otherwise I suspect she'll be on a one-way trip to the vet, or if she's lucky and they'll take her, the Dogs' Trust.

If you are an experienced trainer of working collies, just want a dog to work a few sheep on the farm, and you don't need it to be safe to leave loose while you're not watching, and don't want to spend money on a well-bred dog, it may be worth a look.  I'd still check it out in terms of how it is with children, on the road, with cars, how it's recall is, and see it around sheep, before deciding.  And, given the circs, I'd want a vet check too, to be sure it's clear of collie eye or any other problems.

In other words, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 11:08:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys. I talked to my parents about it and they said that it may be better to work with what I have and not buy in another dog, mainly because of feed bills. I am in the process of training my beardie and shes good and very obedient. I was looking to replace my red welsh bitch as she is getting old and another pup is a bit much. I think I will just have to wait another year or two until the right one comes along. You know what they say all good things come to those who wait, I hope ;D Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it, keep up the good work :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS