Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best dog for family?  (Read 9627 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Best dog for family?
« on: March 29, 2016, 02:45:53 pm »
What do you think is the best breed (or cross) of dog for a family with young children? We live in the countryside and currently have a little boy who's 2 in the summer. We're out walking every day.

I'd like a dog that I can train enough to walk to heel, come when called, etc, but will be playful and energetic to run about with my son, swimming, getting muddy, etc, as he grows older.

I'm not a fan of Jack Russell terriers, I've had/relatives have had 7 of these and not found one I really like and trust yet. 
I have a springer spaniel who is great, very gentle and playful with my son, but is too 'wired' all the time - it's exhausting being in the same room/space with him as he's always wheeking, moving, pushing the boundaries.
I also struggle to trust sheep dog type collies - I've known a few that I've not liked much (and one FANTASTIC one) - I also don't like that way I see them running round and round kids and other dogs on the beach like they're rounding them up all the time.

I've always loved German shepherds, but thinking a bit too big for small family.  Probably medium sized would be best for trips in car to the hills and beach. Have wondered about lurchers?  Will be waiting till Toby, spaniel passes away, but never hurts to do some research and wondered what you think?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Best dog for family?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 03:00:05 pm »
I'll get shot down in flames... but I've yet to meet a Poodle cross I didn't really love.  They've all seemed to be happy, friendly, people-oriented, really super dogs.  I'd have gladly given a home to every one of them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 03:26:04 pm »
My family have always had sheepdogs, welsh, since I can remember and 1 komondor. Never had any problems as we had them from puppies and they grew up with us; however if you're not happy about them I would suggest getting in touch with the Kennel club and speak to them about the best breeds, also various charities such as dogs trust and people like that. Make sure you do a lot of research before commiting to anything and also try and stay away from breeds like the bulldog and dogue de bordeaux. I would also reccommend staying away from german shepherds too, as their temperaments can be very unpredictable. A lot of people say boxers are great family dogs, not sure about that one though. Also small dog breeds can be vicious too, so be very careful; I would not reccommend a jack russell for a home with young children at all. Make sure when buying in the breed you like to buy them in as a puppy, females are usually the best, and make sure the parents are very good around children, talk to the breeder as much as possible. Another thing to do is stay away from rescue centres, if you have young children it would be better to buy in a puppy from a trusted breeder than getting one from a rescue centre which you know nothing about. All the best and I hope this helps :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 04:11:45 pm »
I'll get shot down in flames... but I've yet to meet a Poodle cross I didn't really love.  They've all seemed to be happy, friendly, people-oriented, really super dogs.  I'd have gladly given a home to every one of them.
Agree but my niece has one, a cocker spaniel poodle cross and it is more wired than our spaniels. I guess a lot is in their upbringing though.

We spent months looking through rescues, preloved etc to find the perfect pet dog for us. There are so many out there. Take your time and don't get to hung up on the breed, focus on their temperament x
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 05:14:16 pm »
One of those invites to express a personal preference. Our springer has been a perfect dog and has always adored children. Until his now old age was always energetic but never wired, so I agree that breed doesn't tell the whole story,  Other than springer of course I've known several wonderful labradoodles and my absolute firm favourite the Labrador

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 05:27:53 pm »
Labrador has to be the best family dog. I'm a collie nut but they are definitely not family pets.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:35:26 pm »
Well I am with the poodle cross brigade. This is a surprising discovery made in the last 18 months or so. I have always had terriers to date, and a jolly feisty lot they have been. Now I have  a fabulous dog with something still unidentified in the mix but mainly poodle (large version) with cocker/collie cross.
Just perfect.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 06:11:40 pm »
I have a pure bred miniature poodle.
There isn't a nasty bone in his body. Good size for someone smaller but energetic enough to enjoy a good run. Ours just loves his frisbee and is fairly easy to train tricks. He does a high five and plays dead when you shoot him.
I love him to bits
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 08:47:46 pm »
Cardigan Welsh Corgi. Maybe we've just been lucky but Bryn is a fab dog. For 11 months old, he's quite obedient; doesnt chase livestock or hens; is really friendly with dogs, people, cats, sheep; isn't too small or too big; is a "proper" dog. I know everyone has their favourites but he's just fab.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 08:51:31 pm »
Sounds like an excuse for some more Bryn pics, Rosemary  :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 09:47:44 pm »
Labrador.   :trophy:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 10:20:55 pm »
This may be an unusual suggestion but my vote would be for a staffie or staffie cross.
They used to be known as 'nanny dogs' after all!
In my experience staffies are gentle, eager to please = easy to train, lots of fun and ready for a walk or game any time, but not too hot-wired either. Obviously different dogs have different personalities but having spent some time volunteering at Battersea I met an awful lot of gentle, fun staffies.
I took one of them home eventually, and he moved with us to our smallholding 3 years ago. He is very obedient (I did spend some proper time training him) but full of life, doesn't chase stock or wildlife (but loves balls and sticks) , fine with our cats & free range chickens (actually scared of my (feisty) sheep), loves people and is generally a joy to have around. Oh, and the mud just falls off his short coat.  :love:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 11:51:37 pm »
Corgis  :love:

Our new neighbour has one and he says having a Corgi is like owning a unicorn  :love:

We have a mini dachshund and a mini schnauzer.

HappyHippy

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 09:36:53 am »
German Shepherds are FANTASTIC family dogs.
When I was young we had labs and retrievers and they're great too. When my husband suggested GSD as a breed I was wary - we were starting married life and knew kids were on the agenda  ;)
Now, I honestly don't think I could imagine life without one  :love: They are a bit slower to mature (in emotional / thinking terms) but as long as you train them well when they're young you'll have a fantastic, loyal, clever companion.
Good luck with your decision making!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 10:59:45 am »
I'm a pedigree person normally but just met my nephew's 7 month old cockapoo and she is absolutely gorgeous! Very trainable, not too boisterous but playful.  Never thought i'd say this  :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS