Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are orphans ready to cut down milk ??  (Read 2096 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Are orphans ready to cut down milk ??
« on: March 26, 2016, 10:32:03 pm »
Hello,

We have our first 3 cade lambs (texel x suffolk) who are coming up to 5 weeks and are on 3 x 500ml with ad lib hay and creep. We are increasingly seeing them nibbled at the creep and two were eating with gusto this afternoon. I have just gone to give them their bedtime feed and their bellies seemed quite well rounded and I had to take the bottles off them half way through as there stomachs were clearly plenty full enough !

Are they ready to go down to x2 bottles per day ? I've read varying advice on other posts and don't want to cut them down too soon but also want to avoid bloat if they're already eating creep.

Much appreciated

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Are orphans ready to cut down milk ??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 10:59:15 pm »
We tend to ration creep here when we get to that stage.  so it's one or the other with a gap in between, so not to overfill them either way, ours are much younger than yours, but yes when they start to eat with gusto, they may loose a bottle and have a meal of nuts as opposed to ad lib, but I like to see them trying a little water too by then too.  Best thing is to look at what them books say, Tim Tyne is very good and there's plenty of other reading on tinternet. :wave:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 09:45:17 am »
 I would definitely cut down on the milk now, as they are eating the creep well.
 The theory is that you can wean at about 6 weeks as long as they are eating sufficient solids. Milk. as well as being a perfect feed for young stock, is also a perfect feed for bacteria so as soon as you can get them converted 100% to creep feed, the less chance there is of stomach upsets.
 The lambs of course will try and convince you otherwise and still come up pushing you and pleading for the bottle. So an abrupt weaning is often easier, although whether you wean them suddenly or gradually is up to you as the growth performance will be about the same.
 I personally aim at weaning at about 6 weeks, or whenever the powdered milk runs out - whichever is the later.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 07:27:45 pm »
Yes I would cut down, you risk bloat otherwise. We also wean our lambs at 6 weeks, if one looks a bit quiet then keep on with milk for a few days and try again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS