Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Those blasted foxes!  (Read 8838 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Those blasted foxes!
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2016, 07:19:57 pm »
I wasn't looking for an argument. Merely asking how you knew. Lucky you if in 35 years you have had such good lambing times and long may it continue. Its what we all would like and unfortunately some of us do have losses to foxes and badgers.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2016, 08:34:26 pm »
Here is an interesting story..... Before I started lambing up at the farm I lambed in some rented fields, this was before I was given the chance to rent the farm as someone else was renting it from my landlord/landladies and they fell out so I was offered it ;D I was lambing in rented fields a few miles away, i checked them at least 3 times daily, but never had a lot of lambs; When I was there one day I saw a family of foxes, mother suckling babies in broad daylight. A few days after that I found fox hunters on my land, employed by the neighbour I think, so I willingly let them hunt the fox down, after that a few more lambs. A few years ago I started lambing up at the farm and was dually surprised at the amount of twins, triplets and singles I was getting, profits went up and all was hunky dory for a while. We don't tend to have many problems at all now by fox or badger, until now that is, so I may have to deal with it if it is a fox; According to the law badger hunting is illegal, so no go there am afraid. Tell me is it a different matter if you catch it with a lamb? Not that I have seen a single badger since I moved here, although I know neighbours and family which have seen them.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 12:56:40 pm »
As observed for many years. Lots of rabbits one year, lots of foxes the next but shortage of rabbits in that same year. Basic natural cycle. If they start feeding off lambs(and an over abundance of pheasants for that matter) it makes sense for a population overload of foxes every year. My point is culling/thinning IS necessary in problem areas.
Same with the badger population particularly around here in the Cotswolds. Far too many large badger setts in a small area. These things are very territorial and do not encroach on other badgers areas/patches very often. Hence they will feed on whatever is in their territory to survive.
If the foxes are clearing up afterbirth and the likes surely this carries a high risk of sheep related diseases being spread over wide areas? 

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 08:21:10 pm »
I've had lambs disappear (mine lamb outside) and found some dead in the field with their necks eaten.  I've also had lambs disappear from a stable next to the house!   I have a badger sett in my hedge and also there are numerous foxes, but didn't know for sure what it was that was killing/taking the lambs.  I even thought it might be dogs.

Then one bad spring I had brought some ewes into a large stable next to the house.  One had triplets, the next morning I found her with only two - I knew something had to be taking the lambs.  I looked out my bedroom window the following morning, and saw a large fox sitting right in the open stable doorway (which is literally almost under my window) - couldn't believe the audacity of it!  I ran outside and the fox just trotted to about 50 yards away, then sat and looked at me - it didn't even seem bothered.

At least I have an answer to who the culprit is  >:(
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS