Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone use pig snout rings?  (Read 2466 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Does anyone use pig snout rings?
« on: March 21, 2016, 01:19:39 pm »
I have moved to south america and it seems to be common practice here. I am not entirely sure I want to do it. Our first pig came with a ring when we got her as a weaner... she is now pregnant and we will be keeping one or two of her daughters. We have also just swapped 6 wyandottes for a pedigree pietrain weaner (pretty good deal!) who is going to be the future stud so we don't have to take the girls to be mated.

The pietrain is ring free so far, the breeders said we should ring him in a months time.  I see the practice is legal in the UK although some sections voice their concerns. What do you guys think? Do any of you ring your pigs.

Our sow seems very happy and the ring doesn't stop her doing some rooting but it def prevents full plough mode so her field is very tidy!

If you do ring... what sort do you use? The little clamp or the stainless steel ring?

To be clear - I am not advocating the use or non use of rings, just after some advice :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Does anyone use pig snout rings?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 01:48:44 pm »
I would get the boar's tusks filed down once it's a year old but not ring.  If you can't cope with a ploughed field should you be keeping pigs, I wonder?

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 04:19:25 pm »
I've never ringed snouts, but have a friend who tried it with his pigs - it didn't really stop it and the rings made a terrible mess of their otherwise perfect heads.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 04:34:14 pm »
I would get the boar's tusks filed down once it's a year old but not ring.  If you can't cope with a ploughed field should you be keeping pigs, I wonder?

Whilst you wonder also ponder upon the fact that at no point did I say that I couldn't cope with a ploughed field. I simply stated a fact:  the ring stops her from going into full plough mode so the field is tidy. The field is a very large area which is divided into sections so I really am not fussed either way as there is plenty of room to move them around. I expect a pig to be a pig, I just wanted some opinions on ringing as I would be going against the local "grain" should I not ring all my pigs. Again just stating a fact, I am more than happy to cope with going against said grain.

Thanks for the tusk advice! They will be filed  :pig:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 04:46:35 pm »
It is an awful job> Go and see it done and i'm sure you wont bother!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 05:00:57 pm »
If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Never mind what the locals think just because they all do something doesn't make it right.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 05:02:45 pm »
It is an awful job> Go and see it done and i'm sure you wont bother!

Yup I was looking on youtube and to be honest I don't think there will be any benefit for me to do it. I have the room and my fencing is sound. I think I will remove Mirtha's ring too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS