Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is the best food for fattening pigs on, which gives flavour to the pork?  (Read 3374 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Sorry for such the long title! Could anyone tell me what food I could feed pigs on, say large black weaners, to get them up to weight and off to slaughter quicker?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
In my experience trying to grow traditional breed pigs quicker than they want to will just result in more fat being laid down. It's a balancing act between giving them enough to grow and ending up with a good carcass.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Agree, it is very easy to put fat on LBs quickly, but growing just takes longer.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
apples garlic and onions mmmm

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Think about it. The reason our rare breeds are now rare is because they don't grow quick enough and are too easy to turn into lard pigs for the mass production market. Thankfully this has created a niche for the small producer who can still provide the discerning customer with a superior product if he or she knows what they are doing.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
16% protein will do the job as quickly as it can be done.  If you want pigs to finish quickly then get Landrace.  If you want pigs that are docile, hardy, long-lived, produce many litters over their lifetime and taste superb, then stick with native breeds and be prepared to wait a few weeks longer.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Flavour comes from age, so don't try to finish them quicker :), in fact, I suppose you should be trying to slow it down!

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
16% protein will do the job as quickly as it can be done.  If you want pigs to finish quickly then get Landrace.  If you want pigs that are docile, hardy, long-lived, produce many litters over their lifetime and taste superb, then stick with native breeds and be prepared to wait a few weeks longer.
I 100% agree with that.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Our pigs last autumn had a wide range of extras, apples, acorns, maize etc. Whilst the pork was yummy as always I'm not convinced it made much difference to flavour. I agree with the others, flavour is about slow growing and laying down of a nice fat layer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS