Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb - lots of liquid coming from naval  (Read 2269 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
lamb - lots of liquid coming from naval
« on: March 19, 2016, 09:35:31 pm »
Hi all

Further to my post on the quads post, the one surviving quad seems to have some will to live.  The other three were very small and couldn't breath on their own and died.   This one is now off mum ( who is very weak and has no milk whatsover).  The lamb has had from birth a tummy which feels "full".  She's having colostrum little and often and hasn't stood with 4 legs yet (can stand on 2 front or 2 back but not all together).  She's in the kitchen and crawled over the floor I found her in a puddle -picked her up and the clear liquid is coming from her naval.  She's had alamycin (1ml in the leg and one 1ml in the mouth) as previously recommended by the vet.  Has anyone any previous experience of this?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: lamb - lots of liquid coming from naval
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 09:42:09 pm »
Have you checked she has a exit/bum hole?
Have seen one born without before and they just get fuller and fuller as nothing can come out...

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:55:37 pm »
just been to check - yes all orifices at back end look correct. It's bright "in itself".  I just wondered if fluid in the body cavity can then come out of the naval?

Yay - its just stood on 4 legs!!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 11:23:54 pm »
No, never had a leaky naval. :fc: for her.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 10:45:21 am »
I suggest having a word with your vet.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 10:48:27 am »
What was it's temperature? 

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 04:09:12 pm »
Thanks all.  After the first time all the liquid "pee'd" from her naval all over the kitchen floor, she hasn't done it again.  Wee's and poos normally (from the right places).  Has had a potter outside in the sunshine and although painfully slow is taking milk - so we are hoping she's turned a corner.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS