Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goat died  (Read 6703 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: goat died
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:53:02 pm »
Sorry to hear about Ronnie, but as others have said, that comes with farming. So far I had no problems with the goats, but have lost lambs and ewes, and every time you feel as if there is something that you should/could have done to prevent it.... But when my first lamb of this spring died from hypothermia (we had a terrible snowstorm that day and he was premature) my 6 year old kept asking if he really was dead and was very matter of fact about it. It was me who was quite upset! And I think it helps kids to understand about animals, life and death if they can see both of it!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 11:22:36 pm »
Oh Plums, I'm so sorry to hear about your poor boy. I know you will blame yourself, but you did what you could to get him better. Sometimes even despite everything we do to try and help, they just can't get better.

I hope the kids don't dwell on it for too long, and you too.

Hugs coming your way

Beth

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 08:40:29 am »
Sorry that the wee man didn't make it.  :)

bamford6

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 09:16:18 am »
very sad . iff youv done youre best and looket after him youv got nothink to feal bad about

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 09:58:28 am »
Really sorry to hear your news - I've had my goats for over 2 years and still feel like an absolute beginner when things go wrong. We lost a beautiful little female kid a few weeks ago and I was really upset and wished I'd had more experience/training/knowledge etc. We have 4 orphan lambs at the moment 3 are doing really well but one has a lung infection and is on antibiotics - she's really trying and I'm really trying to help her but I'm starting to realise it could go either way only time will tell. I'm starting to learn that even with all the good intentions nature sometimes gets the better of us and we have to be strong. I love my animals and even with the bad times they do give so much joy - good luck to your family and hope you have lots of good experiences with your animals.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 11:24:04 am »
Thank you everyone  :)  the collection people have just been and taken him - one of the other hardest parts now over.
the children have surprised me a little bit - they have really taken it in their stride and I feel quite proud of them. they are not being insensitive but just very realistic I think. my 5 year old India caught me having a wee snivvel last night and said "are you crying because of the goat mummy?" so I said yes and she said " but you didnt' do anything wrong and its better that he's not hurting now" - she is ONLY 5!!!

sorry to hear about your lamb Brucklay - I hope she pulls through for you.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 11:27:43 am »
Aren't children just wonderful? :)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 10:19:38 pm »
I do genuinely think it's so much better for children to be exposed to animals and pets dying when they are wee. They have to learn its a a part of life. What a sensible thing to say from her, and I bet it made you feel better.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 08:25:46 am »
It did  :)   this is the same child that cuddled a bluebell hen the other day and then asked if she could have it for dinner!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS