Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Funny coloured milk?  (Read 2296 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Funny coloured milk?
« on: April 30, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »
Me again  ::)  sorry guys!!  I've just done a search on here to try and find out what it could be but thought you might be able to help me pinpoint whats going on.

I was milking the goat this morning and noticed that the milk from my nearside teat was coming out off white as opposed to the far side one that was the usual bright white colour.
she's fine in herself - udder not hot or hard.

could it be the stress of what happened to her kid yesteray or perhaps the worming injection?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Funny coloured milk?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 06:27:59 pm »
it could be that she has started bleeding a little into the milk. how long has she been milking? it sometimes happens soon after kidding sometimes it can happen if the kids are still suckling and butting her too hard to get milk drop.. it should clear itself but keep a watch on... it well done for noticing
Ian

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 09:17:17 pm »
If you have just wormed her the milk will not be for human consumption anyway, depends on the wormer, but should say on the label. Same as for sheep, but I guess it won't matter for the cat(s). Pink milk comes from a bit of bleeding inside the udder, if not hard or very hot she should be fine and colour should go back to normal soon.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:15:48 pm »
It might be different because of the wee boy being gone. If they were both suckling her a wee bit, she is now getting suckled less, and it could change her milk a little.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:27:03 am »
Its back to normal again today so perhaps was due to Ronnie not being here for a suckle. will be able to start using the milk again tuesday - we've missed it!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS