Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goat died  (Read 6692 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
goat died
« on: April 29, 2010, 02:41:04 pm »
vet back out today as Ronnie, who had improved yesterday, detiorated again and collapsed 11am.

vet thought might be a twisted bowel. followed vet back to surgery for meds to keep him going during day and overnight but when I got back he'd died. apparantly not anything I did wrong but all the same feel really bad!

disposal people can't collect until tomorrow and i have 4 young children coming home soon..
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: goat died
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:50:04 pm »
Sorry to hear about Ronnie. x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:52:29 pm »
Oh, I am so sorry.  Children are very resilient - they will be upset, and they may want to see his body.  Only you as their Mother can know if that is sensible or not.  Personally I believe in letting children see real life, provided it isn't too gruesome.  To them he will look as if he is asleep.  You know you did everything possible for him anyway.
e-hugs on their way.
Annie
x
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:56:48 pm »
Sorry to hear your news - my thoughts are with you
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 03:03:46 pm »
So sorry about Ronnie.  Its very hard, but if you have livestock, you have to deal with illness and death too.  It could have been any number of things, maybe something he ate, that irritated his stomach.  You did your best ,and I am sure the vet did too.

We can take our dead goats to the slaughter place - is that not possible with yours?  It will be upsetting for the children, but its best to tell the truth about Ronnie.  If  they want to see him, then let them.  It can help them put closure on this sad event.  Have you got somewhere away from the other goats to put him?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 03:07:29 pm »
Thank you x

Annie, I think you are right. they have always seen their rabbits and small animals and held them when they've died. this time will be harder as he has to be taken away so there will be no funeral as such but I think my girls have really taken to 'farm life' and will see this as part of living, sad as it is.
this will sound awful but as it wasn't savannah I don't think they'll be as upset? they all have a huge soft spot for savannah as she is playful and follows us everywhere. poor ronnie was a cheeky boy goat but more interested in grub than playing with the children.

just hacked off with county hall now as they still haven't sent me the movement forms/medicine book etc despite me contacting them ages before the goats arrived.

he's in the garage Roxy, so the children can see him if they choose x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:19:06 pm »
I think children do seem to cope with death of an animal, better than adults.  I suppose once you have told them, you could see if they ask where Ronnie is, and then you have the option of offering to let them see him if they want, but it could be better for them to remember him as he was.

I assume you will take the medicine back to the vets - ours give a refund on unused meds.  The price they charge, its well worth doing.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 04:00:41 pm »
ah no :(
sorry plumeseverywhere

i am so sorry, hope you dont get put of with goat keeping.
and dont blame yourself, you love your goats and we all know that esp you ;)
hope your children dont get too upset if they do find out.
pity carcass has to stay over night.
again sorry to hear this awfull news.
langdon 
Langdon ;)

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »
I'm sorry to hear your sad news Plums  :-* :-* :-*
I agree with everyone that although it'll be hard on the kids and they will be upset it's better to be truthfull and help them deal with the reality of keeping livestock.
Hope it goes okay,
Karen x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:00:25 pm »
Hmm, only problem there is they might ask if they can eat him ::) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 05:04:24 pm »
Very sorry to hear of the little mans passing x

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 05:41:18 pm »
I told them when we got back from school. the 7 year old cried and the 5 year old came close to tears but my 8 year old (wise head, young shoulders) said" well its good that we didnt' get to know him too well as he'd only been here a little while"
they've also had the distraction of a litter of healthy kittens arriving this evening  :)

funny you saying that Langdon, I did say to the vet earlier that I think I'm not cut out for this! I can't help blaming myself and Tony's gone all quiet because I do all the feeding etc I wonder if he thinks I'm to blame in some way  :(

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 06:42:56 pm »
you both need to know that none of you are to blame and that the other isnt
passing any judgement on other half.
its probualy hard cos ye like us are new to goat keeping, like you know molly hasnt been well
either cos i have been over feeding :o for a while i was so flipping gutted with meself, but after getting
great advice on ere i just told meself im a beginner and learning on the job.
the farm that i work on his litters of piglets lose one or two sometimes due to nature and with livestock he
said allso comes deadstock.
hope you soon feel as you were in the beginning with your goats ;) :goat:
langdon :D
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 07:40:12 pm »
 :)  I'm sure I will feel OK again in a few days, thank you for your kind words.

I had been overfeeding too.  It must be an easy mistake to make if both of us have. the vet told me that I'd overfed the kids by about 5 times too much and I am concerned that I've not given them enough hay. From what's happened today I am going to make sure that I feed them well from now on and will have lots of dry hay readily available!

funnily enough someone just popped in to visit and said "with livestock comes deadstock" so twice in 5 minutes I've heard that now! never heard it before.

just had a hug with the mum goat, she's still bleating for him. the whole time the vet was here, despite it pouring with rain, she didnt' leave Ronnie's side. its made me realise that the mother/kid bond is as strong in my goats as it is with me and my children (despite them being horrors sometimes!!)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 07:45:37 pm »
Aww, sorry to hear about the litl' un.
Always very sad, but don't fret, just concentrate on the others...
x

and congrats on the kittens!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS