Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing so far!!  (Read 8309 times)

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Lambing so far!!
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:51:56 am »
We had our first ewe, lamb twins Saturday night, we were at friends for dinner, so had to do  quick change of clothes  in the car, pop home do belly buttons etc, make sure alls well, changed back then went back for dessert!
second ewe lambed Tues afternoon, another set of twins, then last night and the this morning 2 more sets of twins! What a wonderful time of year ;D 3 more ewes to go :sheep:

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: Lambing so far!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:05:10 pm »
if only it was always that easy!

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:28:27 pm »
Well done :D 

We started at the beginning of Feb and have only just finished the second lot, well saying that we ve had three more lambs born in the last week from ewes that the scanner didnt pick up on lol

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 03:41:45 pm »

We had our first twin lambs last night, mother and babies well
Anne

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:18 pm »
all finished 11 healthy and happy lambs. something like 183% not bad for a couple of amatures. pat myself on the back.

laurad

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 08:59:28 pm »
Isn't it wonderful? This is our third year, so still comparative beginners, but I will never get tired of it. I think the most peaceful place in the world to be is the lambing pen at dawn when you have a fair number of young lambs, and more still to go, but are enjoying a quiet moment ... the smell of the hay and straw, ewes chuckling at their new lambs, tiny hour-old bleats ... don't get me started!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:35:58 am »
Ist lamb today, so watch out now for snow/blizzards/sleet/gales.  ::)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:07:04 am »

Can't believe it twins on the 28th of April and not another thing since. One ewe was not in sight this morning so I thought "this is it " went off to find her grazing happily away, no sign of lambs.
This happened last year too. 3 weeks between 1st lot and 2nd
Anne

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 12:29:25 pm »
So far I've had 6 ewes lamb twins! all within just over a week of eachother, just one left but think she was 'got' 2nd time around so probably at least another week for her yet!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:27:09 pm »

Just got home from work to find Old Baa has had twins and her "friend" was trying to steal them, looks like she is in labour so going to be a late night!
Anne

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 10:27:57 pm »
Congratulations, hope all goes smoothly.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:37:13 pm »

Thats 5 ewes now lambed with 3 sets of twins and 2 singles, still 1 to go but she would not be caught so was very late to be tupped so dont expect her to lamb for another couple of weeks. Why is it that when you want boys you get mostly girls, I feel much happier sending the boys to the abattoir
Anne

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 11:29:27 am »
hermit how are you doing with the lambing. hope the cold spell caused no problems.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:01:19 pm »
Only a couple to go , only one set of twins so far but all the  singles, except one, are donkeys.They all dodged the bad weather and lambed in the good intervals, which is a miracle for us. They usually wait till its pouring down, Graham has  a theory that the colder weather has a more favourable air pressure for the ewes to lamb in. All yours ok?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 11:27:32 pm »
very fit. they are at the lets sneak into next doors field stage.very sweet at this age. with lots of spotty ones. rachel has done a great job.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS