Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: OH!! Damn- flies and frosts together!  (Read 2656 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
OH!! Damn- flies and frosts together!
« on: May 31, 2010, 09:40:59 pm »
Last year i was told I had the ewes shorn a bit too early (May) cos their udders could get caught by any late frosts, potentially causing gangrene etc!
... this year i have been glad that I have waited, cos we have had some sharp frosts so very late into may.... there was even a light frost this morning. Well, I can say I am really shocked to find blowfly eggs and adults laying more on one of the ewes this evening... we had some heavy rain yesterday morning which seems to have sat in her fleece, with the heat this afternoon the little beggars have taken the opportunity! Argh.

I did immediately spray her with the fly spray 'Strike Plus' as a temp measure.

Do I spray with Click tomorrow morning, knowing I plan to shear them pretty soon, although we are forecast for rain tomorrow?
Do i wash her down with Savlon tomorrow and wait to shear, then spray the Click. what do i do if there are eggs in the fleece once it is off the ewe?
I was actually hoping to get someone in to shear for me cos i had shoulder surgery a few months ago...looks like i cant wait and will have to have a go myself!
Emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: OH!! Damn- flies and frosts together!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 10:02:49 pm »
I'd have a look at the instructions on the Click, I'm fairly sure it says don't use it before you clip them as you just take away the product at the same time as the fleece, so no protection.
I think Crovect can be used direct on the flystrike site but again you should read the instruction label.
The old way was to pour antiseptic straight on but I've heard this is not recommended and it sounds as if it could be pretty painful. It's dramatic results on the maggots seem to show that it's painful for them.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 12:29:24 am »
It's been quite hot and humid between the frosts, and cosy tucked into lovely warm wool for the hateful maggots.  I would trim back the fleece to beyond any strike and spray some Crovect carefully on that bit to kill off any live maggots you haven't clipped off.  Shear as soon as possible and burn the fleece - you can't process it with either Crovect or maggots on it and you probably wouldn't want to hand spin it either.
Take care of your shoulder  :) and watch the rest of the flock - this is such a dodgy time of year, hoping the flies don't strike before the fleeces come off.  We're in the same boat  :wave:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 08:41:32 am »
Luckily it was just eggs that were laid yesterday. I found two flies in her fleece -caught in the act of laying. No maggots spotted so I suppose I, and Tuppence, have been lucky. I managed to get the ewes and lambs in before the drizzle started this morning, so they are dry. Am going to try and clip them all today....will try not to knacker my shoulder. 

Tuppence got flystrike last September, again luckily I found it before there was much more than very superficial damage done. I was told that she will prob be susceptible again....so i have been watching her carefully. They have been getting checked at least every 12 hours...it just shows you how fast things can happen!!!
thanks for the comments ...and keep your eyes peeled for your own girls!!
Emma
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS