Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Low Drainage Ditch  (Read 2965 times)

bungalow Bill

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Llanynghenedl, Anglesey
Low Drainage Ditch
« on: March 12, 2016, 07:17:06 am »
Hello Small Holders,

I have a few small fields with a drainage ditch running along one end. The ditch empties into a drainage culvert owned by the council. Problem is, my drainage ditches dont empty completely as they are too low. I would like to make the ditches a bit deeper, but I would only exasperate the problem. Any one able to tell me if digging a pond for the at the end of the ditch would be a practical solution
Bungalow Bill

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Low Drainage Ditch
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:41:03 pm »
What do you mean they are too low ? How can digging out a ditch make the flow through it worse.?

Can you explain your dilemma a little more clearly, I for one don't understand the problem you have.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 01:46:56 pm »
Do you mean the bottom of your ditch is lower than the output to the culvert?  and thus the water is being held in your ditch and not draining away?

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 02:51:44 pm »
Why is it a problem that they don't empty completely?  Providing they take the run off your field when needed does it matter that they hold a bit of water?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 04:02:20 pm »
Dig them deeper if you want, it won't make the situation any worse and will still help drain your fields.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:03:23 pm »
We have that problem although it is a ditch beside our road that discharges into a council ditch which is slightly higher than our ditch.  It is not a problem until it rains really heavily and then it floods.
I think the only solution would be to deepen the council ditch but I have better things to do.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS