Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: young ewe unsteady on her legs  (Read 7070 times)

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: young ewe unsteady on her legs
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 06:09:32 pm »
She didn't make it.  :(
Turns out it most probably wasn't twin lamb disease after all. More likely a tumour or obstruction or something else internal.

She didn't really respond to the glucose drenching and syringe feeding (or ABs or vitamins or calcium). The abortion wasn't happening either 40 hours later. She was still alert, even licking my face but very weak and getting bloated. Agreed to take her to the vet for last ditch examination and possible cesarean. I left her for 20 minutes to get the car ready for the trip, when I got back to her she was convulsing and choking violently, fluids coming out her front and back.
Vet is only 10 mins away... the longest 10 minutes ever. She tried to relieve the bloat as a first measure but there was only fluid coming out which shouldn't have been there, and vet concluded there was something very wrong inside, nothing to do with pregnancy or infection.
It was only kind to put her to sleep there and then. I'm berating myself that I could have spared her that last day of suffering.

Devastated. RIP little Bee.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 06:12:13 pm »
  I have treated circa 100 sheep with listeria over about 35yrs  (  only about 10 survived mostly hoggs  ) and in all but 1 silage was the cause , this 1 died in the summer and I suspected louping ill so did a pm came back listeriosis ,  in all cases the main feature was balance on one side this is why its called circling disease               :bouquet:sorry

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 06:48:33 pm »
I bet you're devastated... so sorry to read what you've been through.... I think many of us read these threads, and when the ending is so sad we just all freeze up a little inside, knowing how wretched it'd be if it was happening to us, and one of our flock...
You mustn't beat yourself up over this... we can't know what's going on inside them (for heaven's sake you got the vet out right at the start....).. and how can you not try everything to give a beloved a chance...
I really hope that you have a happy and successful lambing ahead of you, and then you can be entranced by the joys of things going right!

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 10:38:43 pm »
So sorry to hear about your loss. You tried your very best for your girl.  :bouquet:
4 pet sheep

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 10:53:56 pm »
Hey. So sorry. You did all you could ,  and, from my limited knowledge, all you should. I am reading  all  these posts and learning  what I can before I embark on actually being responsible for any sheep. You did what I would hope to do; spotted the problem and got proper help from the vet. You clearly were also very caring.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 11:47:29 pm »
Awwwww am so sorry to hear about that. I myself have had a fair share of problems with sheep and it is not nice at all. You clearly cared for her to the best of your ability and that is the most important thing. Dont beat yourself up about it you did the best you could and if you beat yourself up about it, it doesnt do you any good. These things happen and we have to deal with them as they come along as best we can. I hope the rest of lambing is a success, which i am sure it will be :thumbsup: all the best with everything and when you do start lambing could you post some pics, we definately need the cutest lamb competition. ;D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS