Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smug  (Read 3668 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Smug
« on: March 09, 2016, 01:39:09 pm »
I've just managed to rig up an old smartphone as a wireless webcam in the barn where I'm awaiting two ewes to get on wi' it (due 2 days ago..) so I can now sit by the fire on my computer and keep an eye on them at the same time!  :excited:

It's actually very interesting to see what they do when they think no one is watching....

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: Smug
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 02:33:32 pm »
How have you done this? I'd be very interested to know.  :)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:53:02 pm »
IP Webcam.  It's an android phone and the app is in Google play. It took me ages to sort it as the phone is fairly old and trying to run an unsupported browser, wouldn't open Google play etc etc. Along with addled, sleep deprived brain.  Once the app is downloaded though, it's quite straightforward.  Send the IP address (which it gives you) to another phone or computer in your network via Bluetooth, open that and Bob's your uncle! :) Well, nearly.  You have to choose what to view the video on: I have it on "browser" for my laptop and "javascript" on my phone.

I'd have liked to have found a facility that meant I could view it on the internet, so basically almost anywhere when I go out, but it needs android 4 for that.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 02:59:59 pm »
:bookmark:

Thank you for a very useful post!  When the smartphone gets back from the smartphone hospital, I shall be doing some experiments!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 03:10:19 pm »
So you need to be close enough to connect to bluetooth?

I'm yet to find a way to watch my sheep a few miles from home with no electricity so I can't get wifi :(

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 03:17:57 pm »
Just reread the last part of your last comment. Is there an ap you can get so I could view through the Internet?

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 03:23:05 pm »
No, you don't need bluetooth: it's just the easiest way to send yourself the IP address. You can set it all up at home. There is the option for internet but you need android 4 or more to use it and mine's only 2.something so just using it on the home network.  Your other problem would be battery if you have no mains.  I've got mine plugged in.  :thinking:

There are other apps that do much the same thing: try googling "use smartphone as CCTV" or similar.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 05:03:05 pm »

Aha - gobbledegook  :roflanim: :roflanim:  I understood about one word in three there.  You're all so techy savvy.  I just walk outside if I want to check my ewes, which are all wandering around in various paddocks.  But then I've been known to struggle with my simplest of Blackberries (Dans' husband had to show me how to turn the wretched thing on when I first got it  :dunce:).  I'll think of you toasting yourselves in front of roaring fires waiting for your lambs to arrive  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 05:15:25 pm »
I'm not at all techy, hence the smug!

Really, I want it for quick spot checks overnight so I don't have to get up every couple of hours.  I'm such a worryguts that I'm not getting much sleep at the moment.  It's only my second year of being responsible for lambing, so still jittery. I look forward to having the knowledge and confidence you do Fleecewife!

Timothy5

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 05:25:08 pm »
A small solar panel like they use on boats should supply enough power if you have no mains connection. You may find one second hand for sale on a boating page. They are not cheap, but by charging a battery you will also gain lighting in an emergency, so well worth the investment.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 06:25:20 pm »
I will keep this thread in mind it may come in useful. I only wish that I could re invent the drone with night vision and high tech cameras, to save me going out into the field at night to check if the animals have calved/lambed :roflanim:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 04:11:12 pm »
I'm not feeling so smug this morning: having run flawlessly for 5 hours in the afternoon/evening, the set-up crashed during the night, meaning I had to go out to sort it out (and check sheep) at 3am and 6am. Darn.  I'm not sure what the problem is (see "not techy" above) but suspect weak signal or glitchy laptop. 

I'll try again tonight...

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 12:11:37 am »
Probably my laptop, but IP Webcam was too glitchy but I've discovered that Skype is fantastic!  :thumbsup:

Set up to answer automatically, you can just "ring" the ewes for a quick check as and when required.

On a side note, I've discovered that my longest sleep period at the moment is 2 and a half hours!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 08:35:04 am »

Set up to answer automatically, you can just "ring" the ewes for a quick check as and when required.

Love it!  :D
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS