Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: LAZY PIGS  (Read 4717 times)

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
LAZY PIGS
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:51:15 pm »
I have had my latest batch of weaners for only a week. The last batch was 2 male Tamworths that spent all day digging and rooting. The latest batch is 3 tamworths 1 male tamworth with 2 females, together with 1 female Iron age.

Now it may be this batch is a week or 2 younger than the others, but........it does appear they spend a lot more time lazying in the ark. Perhaps it is also because it is warmer than when I had the first batch and they want to rest more......but too be honest...at the moment.... I am wondering if I have just got lazy pigs!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: LAZY PIGS
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:03:45 am »
Dont worry, in a few weeks time they will have dug down to Australia.   :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:28:02 am »
We have 3 GOS gilts approx 13wks old, 2 of them are constantly racing around, digging, carrying sticks and getting into all kinds of mischief but the biggest one just likes to sit like a labrador chewing grass or can be found sound asleep in the ark or laid eating in the trough. We also have two very large nearly six yr old retired( ::)) pigs, the boar(Gerry) is always out marauding and patrolling but Delia is a mare. She would stay in bed all day every day and have her meals there too if i let her, she has to be rousted and made to walk around to get her food and have a drink, no easy task when she weighs in at 49 stone! (we weighed her at the local weigh bridge!) so don't worry about your weaners, they'll soon be driving you mad. Might be worth making them a wallow if its very warm if you haven't got one already. :)

Micko

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 09:08:45 pm »
Aye know what you mean about lazy pigs Shaun....just got our first weaners (tam / OSB crosses) and they're at their most lively when about to be fed. Breeder who we bought them off reckons they'd quite happily kip for 18 hrs per day.

What's your Iron Age like? Love some myself although don't think the Mrs is too keen....worried if they'd be really mischievious and a right handful.

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 02:48:04 am »
Pigs are like any other animal, my sow May is usually up and pottering around early, unless it it raining then she only comes out if she thinks there is food in the offing.  Carl our boar dosn't usually get motivated until late afternoon when it is feed time.  At the moment he is a bit active as he has a temporary girlfriend and she is very active, he was out all day yesterday.  She must have worn him out because he is being lazy again today.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 07:37:42 pm »
Well I realized I got my lbs mixed up with my kgs and after getting them back on the right portion size they have stopped lazing all day and show some interesting in rooting around and clearing the plot!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:42:46 pm »
The ultimate Lazy Pig

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:43:25 pm »
Thanks Karen  :D :D :D :D :D :D

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 04:06:25 pm »
You're more than welcome  :-*
Was SO worth it just to see him laying on the sofa ! Proof (if it were needed) that pigs are definately very smart - they always get the comfiest seat in the house  ;) ;D ;D ;D

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 05:12:09 pm »
What a fantastic pictures Hilarysmum  :) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 05:40:41 pm »
I can't believe you let a pig lie on your sofa let alone come into the house! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 09:19:02 am »
He opens the door himself and comes in.  Don't mind too much except he will lay there until around 11 pm or when ever we go to bed, which leaves us and the dog all scrunched up on the 2 seater!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 11:07:53 am »

That is absolutely brilliant, love the picture HM
Anne

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 11:30:09 am »
At last there is someone more mental than me - brilliant!

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 12:38:11 pm »
HM that is something Carl my boar would do if he could get into the house ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS