Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boar taint in fatteners  (Read 2386 times)

Wortle

• Joined Jan 2009
Boar taint in fatteners
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:12:27 pm »
Still looking for my pigs.

The latest possibles are 3 Tamworth non castrate boars (well 80% Tam anyway) and are 20 weeks old. They have been kept with gilts so far. I want to keep them absolutely celibate but will their hormones have kicked in?. Will I be ok to fatten to 8 or 9 months do you think?

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Re: Boar taint in fatteners
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 05:24:15 pm »
Simple answer  Yes we keep Tams and slaughter at 11m [males] we try to keep them separate but don't always manage to do it early and have had them together at that age with no problems.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:58:50 pm »
In the past when we had tammies we kept males to up to a year old (not deliberately) they were absolutely fine.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:08:11 pm »
A recurring question, and a current debate on the pig section of the river cottage forum.

Our view is that it is highly unlikely for a few boars kept outside, and we have taken a boar to 12 months, used him to get sows pregnant and then killed and eaten with no problem.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 04:02:37 pm »
only a small proportion of the population can taste boar taint. Regrettably, I'm one of them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:24:46 pm by sausagesandcash »

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 11:01:33 am »
We send whole boars to the butcher at up to 8 months old. We have killed boars for our own consumption at ten months with no problems. We keep them in a separate field from the females once they get past six months as a precaution.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS