Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to Pigs  (Read 2135 times)

Whistlin

• Joined May 2009
New to Pigs
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:09:14 am »
Suspect I know the answer to this, but looking to get 4 weaners (not too fussy about breed), open to keeping two for breeding but meat is main objective. Am I facing an uphill struggle for this year given that 6 months on we're into November with weather deteriorating and abattoirs beginning to fill up?

Rather suspect have left it too late in year, imagine many end up with similar request as soon as May arrives and we've all perked up with two Bank holidays and slightly better weather. Got everything else (CPH, herd number etc) sorted months ago and then forgot to press 'go' button.

Any advice gratefully received.

HappyHippy

Re: New to Pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:21:43 am »
If your weaners are 6 - 8 weeks when you buy them you'll probably find they're due for slaughter before November. Also, althugh I love my rare/native breeds - if you buy something that's crossed with a more commercial breed (large white etc) you'll find they'll come to weight a bit quicker. Give your local abbetior a phone to see how busy they usually are towards the end of the year - you might find they can fit in an extra couple of pigs no problem. Also, just my personal feelings here, but I'd raise some for meat and slaughter before going down the breeding route - just so's you've got some experience with caring for them and knowing that if/when the time comes you're able to take them to the big pig pen in the sky  ;)
Good luck
Karen

Whistlin

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 10:01:02 am »
Thanks Karen. Appreciated.

Good advice, particularly on the breeding point. No point running before I can walk!

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 07:20:08 pm »
W,

Welcome

On abattoirs if you are doing a private kill - ie for yourselves, then November should not be a problem, as those that cater for private kills are used to all year round and 4 should not be a problem. A local butcher will be less keen on cutting for you in December, but an abattoir's cutting plant if they are butchering will work all year.

From your point of view, November just give you a potential of more mud, but this will depend on weather and your ability to move them to fresh ground if needed.

Many of the smallholders who buy from us have pigs outside all year round.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Whistlin

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:21:27 am »
Thanks OaklandsPigs - sage advice. I was nosy and had a look at your web site, it looks a great set up.

Can't hep but asking, saw pictures of your pigs and wondered what size of paddock you had. We've only got 10 acres and the 5 acre field will be divided into smaller sub-paddocks for the pigs - had been thinking of two paddocks of 20m x 20m, and just wondering if that sounds a decent size. I appreciate there's probably no right and wrong (unless you're keeping them in 1m x 1m), but interested in what is normal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS