Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg without shell  (Read 2053 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Egg without shell
« on: March 03, 2016, 10:37:13 pm »
Noticed one of our geese sitting on the nest before we went out. Checked the nest when we got back but my husband only found this. Any ideas? I'm guessing that it is an egg that hasn't formed shell for some reason? Hubby said it was like the egg sac but with all the contents drained out.

Will this cause any problems for the goose? Anyway to prevent it happening again?

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Egg without shell
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 11:09:25 pm »
It looks like a soft shell egg that has its contents eaten. My hens lay soft shell eggs occasionally, usually with no ill effects, but I would keep an eye on her for a few days just to check she is ok.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:09:11 am »
It can happen when they first come into lay and also if they are young.  Make sure they are getting plenty grass and we give ours flaked maize (looks like cornflakes but just maize) or mixed grain, we give ours an iceberg lettuce (Tesco 49p) to share once a week (we have 6 geese) which they love, especially when there is little in the way of spring grass and a bit of brown bread now and then is good to feed them up before they start sitting.  I wouldn't worry but worth keeping an eye on as Louise says.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 12:47:43 pm »
Thanks guys, the next couple eggs from her had a rough shell but they are smoothing out now. This is her first year laying but we've had about 15 eggs from her before this soft one.

They've eaten down the grass in the area but we're fencing a larger area this weekend.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS