Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dwarf birds.  (Read 1976 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
Dwarf birds.
« on: March 10, 2016, 04:34:11 pm »
Hi everyone, its years since I posted on here, but hope you can help me. Last September, we were presented with 16 baby chicks quite by surprise by one of our hens. We had a mixture of Light Sussex, Black Rocks and Warrens, all sharing their Dad's markings. (He was a Light Sussex too.) Now, here's the thing. The blacks and the whites have grown up to be normal sized birds, whereas the red girls, as well as being pale in colour, are very small. They have the tiniest of legs and their bodies are only around three quarters the size of their sisters. We ended up with 12 chooks surviving, 9 girls and 3 boys. All are doing well now, at 6 months old and the girls are laying like mad. Again, the red girls' eggs are much smaller. Don't you have to breed bantams from bantams?
Any ideas?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Dwarf birds.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 04:37:34 pm »
Could it not just be they are not yet fully grown?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 05:47:40 pm »
interesting! Do you have any photos? Maybe you could create a new variety!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 04:22:30 pm »
I'll take some in the next day or two and post them. Would love to know what you think.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 04:34:52 pm »
It would be very interesting to see them!  :chook:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 05:20:58 pm »
I have found that Autumn or winter born chicks can take longer to mature. They tend to get ther eventually though - so maybe not the same as yours. Be fine to see some photos :-)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS