Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: FOWL POX HELP!!!  (Read 2697 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
FOWL POX HELP!!!
« on: February 18, 2016, 07:09:18 pm »
Hello

My neighbour's chickens have fowl pox... he thinks from a pigeon but can't be sure. There are lots of mosquitos about so its likely I am going to get some infected birds. Google tells me there is no treatment only a preventative vaccine which cannot be administered after the virus has hit.

Has anyone come across this virus? Can you treat the wounds at least? Any special care I can give to boost their immune systems? whats the mortality rate? I have lots of young birds at the moment and they all free range I am wondering if I should shut them in!

Stressful times, you get so fond of your flock its awful when you see them under attack from something as horrible as this! My neighbours birds have scabs all over their faces! Poor things. Not sure what the most efficient thing to do is!

sarah angus

• Joined Nov 2013
Re: FOWL POX HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:50:30 am »
Hi there, I find the' layers health compendium ' www kingbirdfarm download v helpful. It Has herbal, homeopathic and physical remedies for a list of poultry ailments inc pox. Obviously tried and tested .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 11:57:00 am »
Google it. There's all you need to know on there, plus a lot you don't.  Basically, if they have the skin type it will slowly get better but run through the flock, if it's the one on the internal membranes you're going to lose a lot.  Someplace suggested vaccinating the rest of the flock because the virus spreads so slowly that it should have time to get working before they've all gone down with it.  I don't see that it would harm the ones which are incubating the Pox.
Apparently Fowl Pox is found all over the world - I've never come across it.....
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 09:32:43 pm »
Yes lots of googling! All I can find is no treatments, vaccinate to prevent but obviously thats not much use now although I will vaccinate the unaffected bunch. I have had a closed flock for years so I guess this is just bad luck.

I can't find the kingbird download... when i search for it, it takes me to a site about passion flowers haha if you have the link I would be very grateful!

Thanks both for your responses.

sarah angus

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 08:34:04 am »
Hi there, try googling:
King bird farm layers health compendium.
A pdf should display:  health remedies for laying flock etc, Brookbyherbs
Hope that helps

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS