Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep scouring  (Read 2080 times)

brookdale

• Joined Dec 2012
Sheep scouring
« on: January 31, 2016, 03:04:47 pm »
I have a flock of 15 Herdwick sheep, one of which has really bad scouring. I have been monitoring for the last week but seen no improvement. None of the rest of the flock have it. She is by far the smallest of the flock and I think a bit under weight. She seems to be eating but as the smallest the others do push her out of the way.
They have been housed indoors for the last 4weeks as our field is totally water logged and wasn't doing their feet any good. All ewes but not in lamb, on hay with access to mineral block. All quite contented I had heard Herdwicks don't like being housed but well ventilated barn with loads of room, and have settled in there well.
I have clipped off all the wool from round the rear end this morning to try and keep things a bit cleaner. They had supposedly been wormed, but couldn't say for sure as only bought them in November.
Any suggestions on what I should do next, very new to sheep keeping so any advice welcome.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Sheep scouring
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 03:53:16 pm »
I'd fluke and worm her and a vitamin drench.   Vet said before that they don't need to be scouring, they could be clean bummed but still need dosing.  If you don't know history, dose them all IMHO, good luck x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 04:20:07 pm »
And then FEC count about 10 days post-treatment to check for resistance.

However if one had early fluke damage (like in early autumn) s/he will have a rubbish digestion due to liver damage and a) never grow, always be skinny and b) scour regularly, even if on hay only...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 05:29:25 pm »
.... and sometimes you just get one that's a "poor doer".

brookdale

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 05:45:49 pm »
Thanks for the advise I'll fluke and worm and see how I get on.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:38:39 pm »
Get a FEC test done for worms and fluke first, then treat according to the results.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS