Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chicory for fattening lambs  (Read 1955 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Chicory for fattening lambs
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:17:41 pm »
I was reading an article about how chicory finishes lambs faster than if they're on grass and flavours the meat nicely too. I am going to try growing a field of it next year for the ram lambs before they go to slaughter, an experiment if you like, the question is where can I buy it from? Could someone point me to a supplier or three?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Chicory for fattening lambs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:05:19 pm »
I bought a grass mix for reseeding my land which contains chicory. I didn't know about the fattening lambs bit but the reason I went for it was because I'd read that it can be a natural wormer? Not sure how true this is but as it was one plant in a mixed herbal ley I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.

My supplier is on mainland Orkney so probably no good for you although they do supply shetland/orkney and highlands. Family run business, the guy is very knowledgeable.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:14:40 pm »
https://www.cotswoldseeds.com/content/chicory
available as a straight or as part of a mixed ley.
(also https://www.cotswoldseeds.com/seed-info/chicory-finishing-lambs-effect-carcass-and-meat-quality)

I think you have to graze it periodically, not constantly.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 03:15:38 pm »
Any of your local seed suppliers will either stock or can get hold of good chicory seed.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 03:34:27 pm »
Thanks for that guys I will certainly look into it. I was thinking of trying the herbal ley with it in just for one year as an experiment to see how they do.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS