Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Collie, pet, to rehome, Perthshire  (Read 5422 times)

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
Collie, pet, to rehome, Perthshire
« on: January 18, 2016, 10:34:42 pm »
Looking for new home. Sweet natured, soft ,bidable smooth coated black and white collie bitch. nearly 4yr. Lie in house or car all day. Safe around stock. Not "wired". likes men/women/children/other dogs
I've had her since 6month old and she's the perfect pet, but I just dont like her so I've finally decided to try and find her a home that appreciates her.
pm me for more info if interested

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: Collie, pet, to rehome, Perthshire
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 11:14:26 am »
Getting rid of a dog because " You just don't like her!"  How sad for the dog.  A dog is for life not just for when it suits you.

Maybe take this as a very strong reason as to why you should not be a dog owner in the future.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 03:30:44 pm »
To be fair, it would appear that Farmvet has kept the dog for 3 years+ and is trying to find her another home. So it's not exactly like she's been abandonded and tied to a lampost.

There will always be animals that somehow you don't gel with. But, it would maybe be relevent Farmvet if you could explain what it is that you don't like about her, because on the face of it she sounds like a fairly ideal pet.   
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 09:47:41 pm »
Thankyou landroverroy, its comments like those from Floyd that remind me why I've not been on the forum much lately.

I have had many dogs over the years, some from pups to old age, others taken in for rehoming or retirement, and a few passing through to rehome for clients.  They are all different and have their own quirks and needs.  This particular bitch was handled too strongly as a pup for her sensitive nature & put off working.  I took her at 6 months and repaired a broken dog into a sweet well mannered pet.  She is however too soft for me - i have tried her running, biking, hill walking, agility, flyball, obedience, dancing, retrieving, sheep, riding etc but to no avail.  All she wants is a home where shes  walked maybe an hour a day ( and not if its raining..) but more importantly someone who will cuddle & fuss her, or share the sofa and fire.  That is just not the life I lead. It is because I am a caring dog owner that I recognize that keeping her is causing her mental distress.  I think we all need to realize that we are responsible for the psychological as well as physical well being of our animals.  in many cases we can adjust things to correct deficiencies but sometimes we need to just accept that rehoming is the kinder option for the pet.   

So, I thought I would post on here in case anyone is searching for a new soulmate.  You will notice shes not " advertised" on the marketplace, or on preloved gumtree or any other internet site.  She can stay with me until the right home comes up but assuming she will live another 10years I still feel rehoming is in her best interest in the long run.

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:07:37 pm »
Thank you for posting this information. I was going to contact you but it sounds as though she would be ovewhelmed here. We have 3 beardies and they are fairly lively. We've recently lost 2 of our older dogs (15 and 16) due to old age and my beardie/border cross due to illness. I have started to look around for a youngish bitch I could do a bit of agility with. I hope the right home is found for your dog.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 10:55:59 pm »
Thanks AnnS. I've pm'd you re another bitch that may suit.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 07:17:42 am »
Farmvet and Floyd, I can empathise with you both. I have kept a dog belonging to my partner that I didn't get on with for fourteen years (dog, not partner)
 and only got close to him in the final months of his life. If Jim hadn't been fond of him I would have happily re-homed him.
I fostered Greyhounds  for Greyhound Rescue West of England for many years. Some I kissed goodbye with relief, hoping they wouldn't be back, others I would have kept if I'd had the need of a dog. Two, Penny and Tempi, it almost broke my heart to part with but had I kept them there wouldn't have been room for the next one and there was always a next one.
Good on you Farmvet for your part in dog rescue and good on you Floyd for speaking out for responsible dog ownership. X

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 09:47:40 am »
Sounds like she might like to be a therapy dog where she gets lots of fuss and cuddles :).

btw, i agree with Floyd, you could perhaps have worded your original post a bit better so that folks didn't get the wrong idea about you "not liking her", so don't get the hump :).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 01:15:38 pm »
Sounds like she might like to be a therapy dog where she gets lots of fuss and cuddles :).

btw, i agree with Floyd, you could perhaps have worded your original post a bit better so that folks didn't get the wrong idea about you "not liking her", so don't get the hump :).

I agree with Floyd too - my hackles went up with the phrase 'not liking her' but I waited to see if there was an explanation coming, I'm very glad you clarified that the re-homing is for her sake not yours.  It would have been better had you said this in the first place, although I suspect part of it is the number of dogs you have.  Perhaps you should rein back a bit, I know four is my absolute maximum and i have a big house, I'm retired and have an acre for them to run on as well as taking them out for  an hour and a half free running every day.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 02:04:12 pm »
I like honesty and well done to farmvet for taking in "many dogs for various reasons and finding them suitable homes".  Rather than jump to conclusions why don't people ask for more information.

I too have had the odd animal I find I don't like but there again I find I don't like some people too.

Hope she finds a good home and wish we weren't so far away.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 02:08:53 pm »
if you think she would be good for two older kids with severe learning disabilities (as well as a couple of tics) and she's un-collie-ish I might be interested. I have an older dog who probably wont see out the year and have been struggling with the thought of replacing with a pup. We've had mixed experiences with collies in the past though and OH might take some convincing. But if she's good with birds, cats and kids then maybe we should chat :)

PM sent.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:38:28 pm by lord flynn »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 06:43:54 pm »
Thankyou landroverroy, its comments like those from Floyd that remind me why I've not been on the forum much lately.

TBH, most of us have more tact and understanding than Floyd, and those that don't are generally well-known and kinda liked for being very outspoken!  lol

Like Annie, I bridled at the phrasing in the opening post, but we know you and that didn't sound like you, so I waited to see what other info was forthcoming.  Which it did, and was much more like you ;)

Hope your lovely wee bitch finds her forever home soon.

And if anyone wanted a boy dog to keep her company, Killibrae Sheepdogs is offering a 5-yo non-worker for rehoming.  He's a softy, loves fuss, totally disinterested in sheep, been kept in a shed up to now, poor lad.

I wish I could take them both  :love: :dog:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:05:45 pm »
And if anyone wanted a boy dog to keep her company, Killibrae Sheepdogs is offering a 5-yo non-worker for reoming.  He's a softy, loves fuss, totally disinterested in sheep, been kept in a shed up to now, poor lad.

not kept in a shed at Killibrae I trust???
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 10:33:52 pm »
And if anyone wanted a boy dog to keep her company, Killibrae Sheepdogs is offering a 5-yo non-worker for reoming.  He's a softy, loves fuss, totally disinterested in sheep, been kept in a shed up to now, poor lad.

not kept in a shed at Killibrae I trust???

You trust correctly ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 10:35:01 pm »
Doganjo - I've not had loads of dogs at once! Just many over the years....currently her, an old boy & a 2yr. 

Lord Flynn _ thanks for your pm, have replied

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS