Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Accounts HELP please  (Read 2495 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Accounts HELP please
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:00:33 pm »
Hi
As usual, trying to rush accounts and head is in a spin.
Last year OH bought a new van with private money ie putting capital in?

He paid via his debit card

Any ideas how I put this through accounts?

We work on a 'Sage' accounting system,
I work on excel during the year, it was simple there :-)
I can't seem to get my head round how to put it in
I think I've managed to take it out of the cap. acc instead of putting it in.
Actually, writing that I think I'm seeing where I've gone wrong, but any advice would still be welcome.
No, had another quick think, more confused than ever,
time for a break and a bit of fresh air I think.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Accounts HELP please
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 09:44:35 pm »
Thanks SD, i did go on courses some years ago, and usually quite happy with what I do, but my head is spinning with sorting out mistakes I previously made while entering figures late and taking short cuts :-(.
Trouble is i leave accounts (OH's business) till last minute because I want to be outside
I think I just put the figures in the wrong way round,  trouble with sage is if you make a mistake it's a pain to sort out. I just backtracked to a saved file and left this entry to the end of the quarter,   makes sense now. :-)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:07:41 pm »
Yes journal Debit Fixed assets Motor Vehicles, Credit owners loan account.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:31:23 am »

It's not the tidiest way of doing things, but it results in the correct outcome and provided you have written it down on a sheet of paper to support and explain the entries, it's auditable so will pass any accounting scrutiny.

We'd all rather be working outside than doing accounts (including the accountants)!!!

Trouble is i like things nice and tidy, so keep going back to last saved file before an error, and redoing, but to do the reverse transaction is sometimes the only way if I discover an earlier mistake already reconciled.  Don't like showing I make mistakes :).
Did the double reverse entry last year and wrote down why in a text file, now can't find the file, cant remember the details, pen and paper sounds a good idea now  ::)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:55:33 am »
How about switching to an online package with instant free non-judgemental help such as Liberty (which I've been using for the  charities I'm involved with for two years) or Xero which I'm about to change over to.  £12 a month for  Liberty, not much more for Xero and all your reports are automatically generated.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 12:30:05 pm »
Sorted thanks, all made sense when I'd played about a bit ( VAT,RFL etc). Hope the accountant thinks the same  ::)
When all is straight forward i like the system we have, it's only when I make stupid mistakes when in a hurry, usually after waiting till last minute, while waiting for OH to search through the dross in his van and bring his receipts in for the qtr., then struggle to balance everything when completing final accounts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS