Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on cleaning drains of old fat deposits  (Read 7108 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Advice on cleaning drains of old fat deposits
« on: January 08, 2016, 02:11:42 pm »
Hi,

the pipes to my septic tank have got a build up of very old fat deposits which no longer resemble fat at all and are thick and grey and create a rough surface causing "things" to stick rather than flow through freely. Jet washing hasnt worked.

Any idea what I could use to clear it?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Advice on cleaning drains of old fat deposits
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 02:18:42 pm »
I think that in city drains they just scrape it all off.  But a person can fit inside a city drain, whereas even if you're very very skinny and small, you'll never get along yours  :roflanim:  I don't think there would be much point in just moving the fat deposits along to the tank, as then that would have to be cleaned out too.  If it's really that bad, and no one comes up with the perfect solution, then the drain equivalent of a chimney sweep might have some ideas, or you could dig up and replace the pipework.

Once you've done it, then never pour fat down the drain.  Let it cool then scrape it into the bin, or if it's suitable, feed it to the wild birds.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 02:26:21 pm »
I'm sure you don't put fat down the drain, especially as you can see what it does, but I just thought I'd mention for those who don't like putting things like fat straight in the bin bag - I keep an old coffee jar or similar under the sink which i pour/scrape fat into and when its full put this in the bin.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 02:51:55 pm »
Fleecewife I knew that there was a good reason not to be very very skinny. Thank goodness I'm too big to be utilised for unblocking the drains ::)  And please do not mention this idea to OH...he will have me on a diet ;)

You are quite right Clarebelle, I dont put fat down the drain but this is very old stuff that no longer resembles fat so it's years old. Actually it could be a build up of 50 odd years of human body fats and oils I suppose rather than cooking and animal fats /lard.  If you saw the black layer of revolting yuck that I had to clean off the ear piece of the telephone receiver when I moved in....., :yuck:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 04:00:19 pm »
Ah yuck  :yuck:  I hope you replaced the loo seats too...........

Maybe the way forward really is to replace the drains.   Once you've got a good sample of the stuff you could send it off for analysis to be really revolted  :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Sorry to laugh Buffy, but it's soooo revolting.  I'm sure I'd offer to help if I lived closer  :innocent:  :thinking:  no, maybe not  :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:09:15 pm by Fleecewife »

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 04:42:17 pm »
That's right,

you go ahead and chortle at my "pipe issues" I'm sure that you would be rushing round with a rubber glove, a toilet brush and a bottle of Harpic if only you were closer ( yeah right :-J )

Replacing the pipe would involve digging up the tarmac drive, the lawn and some pasture so that really would be a big job. ( Ow unfortunate choice of phrase).

So fat one company have offered to jet it ( which dosent seem to work) and anther offered to suck it.

I wonder if I could pour something caustic down it and then have the tank emptied the same day  ???  If I added some water afterwards to dilute any remaining chemicals and then added a sachet of the stuff that keeps the tank "Healthy"....... :thinking:

I wonder if the Romans had all this bother...... :-\

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 04:48:14 pm »
And yes I replaced the toilet seats..., the toilets, sinks, baths, ceilings, electrics, fireplace, skirting boards, flooring, carpets,doors, windows, light fittings, kitchen, porch roofs,..........though we do still have that old phone in the office....its clean now though. :eyelashes:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 04:56:44 pm »
Thanks henchard...

It would appear that the woman who apparently has everything ( according to OH) is now  in the market for a "Drop Scraper"

To quote the manufacturer "Once past the obstruction, the plate drops down into a vertical position allowing the blockage to be dragged back along the pipe to the user. " :o  How delightful  :-J

Oh joy :-[   My life just gets better and better. I knew that I would find something "nice" to spend my Christmas money on..... :-\
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:12:09 pm by Buffy the eggs layer »

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 05:01:29 pm »
Thanks henchard...

It would appear that the woman who apparently has everything ( according to OH) is now  in the market for a "Drop Scraper"

Personally I think you'd be better breaking it up with a boring tool or drain chisel from that list then flushing it through with a hose. Don't forget to always keep turning the rods clockwise or you will need a drop scraper to try and retrieve the lost tool that has just unscrewed.

Edit: On reflection if someone local has a hot water power washer/steam cleaner for cleaning plant or engines you may be able to use that somehow (if you can get access from a manhole) to loosen the fat.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:16:12 pm by henchard »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 06:22:51 pm »

Kind Mr F took pity on you for me taking the P.  He says there are plenty of professionals who can do the job for you, from Dynarod to most drainage engineers.  We even have a neighbour who includes it in his repertoire.   If you've saved up your Christmas money getting someone to do it for you has to be the best choice.  They'll have the right equipment.  The fount of all knowledge said they can even send camera things down to suss out the job (it's impossible to avoid a poor choice of words  :roflanim:)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 06:28:23 pm »
That's right,

you go ahead and chortle at my "pipe issues" I'm sure that you would be rushing round with a rubber glove, a toilet brush and a bottle of Harpic if only you were closer ( yeah right :-J )

Replacing the pipe would involve digging up the tarmac drive, the lawn and some pasture so that really would be a big job. ( Ow unfortunate choice of phrase).

So fat one company have offered to jet it ( which dosent seem to work) and anther offered to suck it.

I wonder if I could pour something caustic down it and then have the tank emptied the same day  ???  If I added some water afterwards to dilute any remaining chemicals and then added a sachet of the stuff that keeps the tank "Healthy"....... :thinking:

I wonder if the Romans had all this bother...... :-\

No no no - in this household anything to do with what comes out of the back end of creatures, or related drainage issues, is most definitely a MAN'S job.  I'm as emancipated as the next girl, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

The Romans had slaves - I expect the drain clearance ones were male too  8)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 07:06:32 pm »
Why won't jetting work? Most septic tank emptying companies should be able to do the job.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 07:22:27 pm »
Why won't jetting work?

It may do but a jetter is probably going to be £100+

However, if the drains are old they can be seriously damaged by jetting with too powerful a jetter.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 08:21:25 am »
Why won't jetting work?

It may do but a jetter is probably going to be £100+

However, if the drains are old they can be seriously damaged by jetting with too powerful a jetter.

Still cheaper than renewing the drains.  The companies should have insurance in case of damage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS