Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wood burning hot tubs  (Read 3002 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Wood burning hot tubs
« on: January 10, 2016, 10:48:13 pm »
We have been' told by our holiday let agent that a hot tub could generate additional income on our Welsh log cabin, ( about 50% more)  looking at our neighbouring properties' rates  we can see why that is said.
We have no mains drains and are chemical adverse. We also have no mains drains. (But mains supply.) We wondered if a wood fired hot tub (using only mains water, changed weekly  or between lets and discharged onto our land ) could work out for us. Has anyone any advice or experience?

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Re: Wood burning hot tubs
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 08:46:26 am »
Funnily enough, husband and I have been having the hot-tub-in-holiday-let argument for a few months now.
As I understand it, the idea behind a hot tub is that it stays on all the time and doesn't need heating up to get into (my brother-in-law worked out his costs him 65p a day to keep going), so I'm not quite sure how that would work with wood-burning. 
If it doesn't have the standard chemicals in, you might also be laying yourself open to a claim if someone came down with something that could have possibly been water-borne after using it.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:29:20 pm »
Hi Caroline
The impact of the hot tub on the number of bookings (and returns) being increased seems clear. The agent reckons we could see an additional £80-100 per booking - so we would certainly do it if we could. Our problem is how to empty the darn thing when we only have septic tank drainage. Are there eco products for hot tubs does anyone know?
We cannot see that our tank would cope with so much water hence we thought of free draining. Probably not going to work out in our situation but want to explore.
The wood burning idea was suggested as being part of the 'experience'even if not as convenient.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:33:40 pm »
We're on a septic tank too - I need to go and talk to the guys down in Nairn, who install all over the Highlands, to see how they do it.  http://www.aqualeisureltd.com/ if that's any help.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 12:43:56 pm »
Thanks. I will make enquiry too

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 03:07:45 pm »
We've got a wood fired hot tub in our decking.   It's made from Western Red cedar, with a small log boiler (called a chofu) alongside.

Very pleased with it and have used it often.  Need to plan ahead a bit, as you need to light the boiler about 2-3 hours ahead of use, and keep re-loading a few times to get up to temperature. The tub has a large bath plug in the bottom for emptying, which we just let drain away to the ground.   The cedar apparently has anti-bacterial properties, and we do not need any chemicals in.  Change the water occasionally, but it seems to stay very clear. We keep it covered when not in use.

Ours came from http://rustictubs.com/Rustic_Tubs/Home.html       Think they also do LPG and electric heater options.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 03:15:29 pm »
Thanks for that Dav275. That is interesting

Dav275

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Dumfries & Galloway
  • www.woodwallart.co.uk
    • WoodWallArt
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 03:22:49 pm »
No problem.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 07:38:21 pm »
For private use chemicals do not need to be added. However for commercial use you will fall foil of all the same regulations that affect swimming pools and other multi person water use facilities.  One way to get around the " chemicals " is Nacl ie salt. And it then becomes more exclusive as it's a salt water hot tub.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS