Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Call Duck  (Read 20379 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Broody Call Duck
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 07:58:05 pm »
me too - love the rabbit hutch idea - I've old duck boxes I could do that with when the time come - which I'm sure it will - if I remember correctly call duck hatch at 26 days but I think they start pipping any time after 24, so I kept a close eye after 3 weeks - even on duck hatching the - I'd sneak in for a quick look and pick up an egg and listen to it - great when you hear activity - best of luck :)
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2010, 07:06:28 am »
I have ust been out feeding the animals and I noticed 2 of her eggs were out of the nest. Now the position of the nest has moved so I don't know whether they fell out or she has pushed them out. So, I brought them in and candled them and both were unfertilised, so I am hoping she knew this and that's why they are out. I hate the thought of her sitting for so long and getting nothing for her reward.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2010, 07:12:32 am »
I think your right that they just know - I've seen the odd egg pushed out before and I've just put it back only to find it out again a few hours later - I didn't candle them but I'm sure that's right - are they clever and crafty - one of my evaded the round up last night, her 'friend' was most annoyed when she didn't come home, luckily she reappeared this morning.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 07:17:04 am »
She goes mental and has a hissing fit when any of the other ducks go near her and earlier I had gave her some bread and one of the ponies thought they could smell food and she was went mental at it. I still had her closed in so the pony couldn't have got in beside her any how but she stood her ground. Glad your one turned up.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 09:48:48 am »
James, it can also be that she pushed eggs out which weren't hers. But most likely is that she can tell if something is alive in there, amazing, isn't it! Later on she will need to get out and get wet, don't lock her in during the day even if she has enough food and drink in the cage.
Maybe we'll pop by on Wednesday afternoon. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 10:14:27 am »
It is amazing as you say Kerstin. I don't have her locked in during the day so she is free to leave if she chooses. If I see the other animals congregate around her nest then I do go and lock her in for her own peace of mind. Maybe see you Wednesday.  :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 09:31:48 pm »
She has now been sitting for almost 24 hours a day for a few days and her nest has much more feathers around it. No idea how long she will have left to sit as it seemed to get off to a very slow start.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 09:51:53 pm »
That's normal, James. Fresh eggs are viable for a few days even if cool - as you know! I'm sure she'll do it right. I just hope you can catch them before she's off to the river with her babies! It might be a bit hectic for us tomorrow after all, as the band will go out for a meal after :&>

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 07:17:46 am »
I hope she's settled down now - it's great you spotted her, yesterday morning once 'Luck's Bird' reappeared I was determined to find where she was nesting to try the box on top thing, it took ages but finally she flew off and I flew out the house - she seemed to disappear, finally discoverd her underneath an upturned wheelbarrow - not a bad spot really and close to the house so really happy I can keep an eye on her. A hand reared male call 'Lucky' grew up with 'his bird' but she was tiny and the following spring she broke her leg and I had to have her put down, Lucky really missed her but woed another duck that looked just like 'his bird' but was a good size and I really don't want his to loose another partner.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 07:35:09 am »
Fingers crossed all goes well this time Brucklay. :)

Kerstin, don't worry if you can't manage in later. :)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 02:03:40 pm »
From time to time the other ducks go and try to destroy/mess up this nest, is this normal?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 07:16:53 pm »
not by what I've experienced, James. But ours was nesting in the house and the others never go back in there once let out.  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2010, 08:59:11 am »
Thinking that these eggs should probably been due to hatch by now the last few days I have candelled a few eggs each time she has gone on to the river. Every day they have shown to be unfetilised and this morning we were down to the last 3 and low and behold there is definately life in 1 of the eggs. I really hope she manages too hatch this only 1.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2010, 10:50:48 am »
My mad 'Ludo' who always wants to nest but has never layed an egg - stole a nest with 5 eggs, but they had been there for q wee while manage to hatch two out of the five - she's so proud of herself

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2010, 10:56:01 am »
Well done, she seems to have lefy her nest today for longer than normal so don't know if that's because it is a hot day or whether it is incubator time. I will give it a wee while first.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS