Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Call Duck  (Read 20382 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Broody Call Duck
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:15:52 pm »
I found one of my call ducks sitting in some old straw this morning and when I went and had a closer look she has laid 2 eggs in a nest shape. The only problem is this is out on the open so if she chose to sit she would not be safe during the night. She is not sitting just now, any advice?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Broody Call Duck
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 02:32:00 pm »
Hi - I've had the same problem for the last two years - however good the pens are - on the 3rd upgrade!! I've always found some determined to nest away from everyone and have lost 1 female each year - not through trying but they get very crafty. I did have success last year of letting the duck lay all the eggs and then as soon as she started to sit on them, moved the whole lot into a next box and she stayed. I did want to invent a vented concrete dome to put over any determined one - thought that may protect them at night but not got to that yet. If she had laid 2 eggs you still have a wee bit of time - mine lay 8-12 before sitting.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:50:41 am »
When I let them out this morning she was desperate to get out of the run and into her "nest". She has spent ages tidying it up and getting it the way she wants. The straw she has chosen is actually in a black bin liner, it was about to be disposed of. Can I safely move this bag in to their pen area without putting her off?

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:40:28 am »
I think - just from the few times I've tried - when they are laying and determined to sit, she will dash out to check everythings ok, sit for a while, lay another egg, tidy up a bit, cover it a wee bit and go off for the day in her usual routine - if she has her clutch (my girls seem to wait for absolute minimum of 4 but we also had one that waited till 12 eggs!! and she hatched them all) then she will sit on the nest all day and night with only a couple of breaks of about 10 mins to eat, drink and a quick swim. If she's sitting on the eggs all day today then I would give it a go this evening when you put her in - it's worth a go to me. It's not nice but I would rather loose a few eggs than the lovely ducks we have. I have done this and it's worked, she sat straight way on them no problem, but also had one nutter that scattered all the eggs all over the place and didn't approve at all - not sure what goes on in their heads - but I guess they don't know what I'm thinking either - good luck - ducklings are just great - best get all the extra feeder and water container down from the goat house loft!!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:41:26 am »
When I went out a few minutes ago to see if she was sitting I found one of the other call ducks sitting on the nest, is this normal or do you think they are simply going there to lay their daily egg? It does seem strange though as they normally lay before I let them out about 7.00am.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:01:30 am »
I only just now noticed this post, James. What has been happening since?  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:07:25 am »
Well Kerstin it is very bizarre. As you know I have the 3 call ducks I bought at the auction we went to. Well, all 3 of them seem to be using the same nest and this morning there were 2 of them sitting at the same time!!!! I looked yesterday and there were 5 eggs and I am sure they are not just using this new place as a place to lay as they do sit for long periods of time. If the eggs are fertilised they will be crossed with Aylesbury as they are the only Drakes I have now, so will be exciting to see the end product. My female goose seems to be spending more and more time on her eggs now too so before you know it we will be over run with young uns - oh I hope!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 11:55:00 am »
It looks like you want this to happen, James. But - even if the nest is outside their safe area (at night) they will want to sit during the night soon, which I think is very dangerous. We had pheasants nesting in the garden for 2 years and they all got taken at the end, just before the eggs hatched, presumably by a fox at night.  But if they don't sit through because the mums go in at night they will not hatch.You do have 2 options. You can stop them and take all the eggs. Or you can move the nest and lock them all in a seperate house with it (maybe a rabbit hutch), in the hope that they keep going. That they are laying in one nest is typical, but I am surpised that they all want to sit! Maybe you just caught two laying an egg at the same time. They are great at delegating the job of sitting, lol.
The other downside is if they are successful they want to look after the ducklings themselves. You might loose them through cold weather and sparrowhawks if they are not in an area where they are protected from above... nature is not as kind as if you do the job of incubating.  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 12:05:12 pm »
I think I am going to leave this one to nature and see what happens. :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 12:13:28 pm »
James, I can really understand the temptation and I don't want to be a spoilsport...Just be aware that if the nest is outside the run you might loose the sitting duck one night, which would be very sad. If it's in the fenced off run she's probably going to be fine. I hope all goes well! Keep us posted... :&>

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 12:13:37 pm »
We have had a wild duck sitting on a clutch of eggs since 9th march. She leaves the nest, which is under a bush, very infrequently. is she wasting her time ?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 12:19:50 pm »
Although it seems a long period, I don't think she's wasting her time, Sheila. I always had the feeling they know how much time they have  to spend sitting and how much they can go off to eat and swim. It's more likely the eggs she laid later that will hatch. As long as the  core temperature of the eggs is stable, she might get her babies.  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 12:24:43 pm »
James, I can really understand the temptation and I don't want to be a spoilsport...Just be aware that if the nest is outside the run you might loose the sitting duck one night, which would be very sad. If it's in the fenced off run she's probably going to be fine. I hope all goes well! Keep us posted... :&>

I think once I know for certain that they are trying to hatch the eggs and not just laying I would try moving them to safety.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 12:37:12 pm »
What happens here every year is that they start nesting, then lay a few eggs in it and while they keep on laying they gradually increase the time they sit on the nest. If the same girl is missing several times a day you can be sure. During our only successful natural hatch a few years back I think they kept on laying new eggs all the way through (  I suspect the other girls delegating!!)  I took the newest eggs away each day after I had marked the others.  :&>

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 08:13:06 am »
James - I think your being wise - once you know she is actually sitting and not just laying I would try to move the eggs. Good Luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS