Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Call Duck  (Read 20383 times)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
Re: Broody Call Duck
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 03:53:03 pm »
My duck has hatched about ten of her eggs. The nest is in an enclosed garden miles from any water so i don't know what she will do about teaching them to swim.

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 11:51:33 am »
Update on my previous post. the duck and duckling have vanished. Gone and never called me mother!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 12:05:08 pm »
That's a shame Sheila. I am still unsure what is going on here as it seems all 3 call ducks are taking turns on this nest and with each day they do seem to sit longer. However, at night the ducks all still get locked up and so therefore the nest is not kept warm during the night. I could take them in and incubate but think I will leave them to their own devices.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »
Sheila, let's assume she's taken them t o safety and closer to the water...

No ducklings for you then, James. I think the girls are not going to be happy if they keep going and get locked up at night. they might need to try this for a long time until the instinct wanes and the eggs will rot... I myself would decide to either take the eggs to discourage them or try to move them to a safe place with the mothers, don't know if that's feasable for you.  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 12:27:09 pm »
Kerstin they go to bed without having to be chased off the nest, that's why I don't know what they are up to!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 01:22:48 pm »
that's normal in the beginning as fas as I remember. the sitting time will be increasing gradually. I think it has to do with the core temp of the egg still being warm after it's laid or maybe just the way they get into the swing of things. after a week or so I found it harder and harder to get her out of her hiding place to go to bed! I'm still amazed that yours obviously share the whole job, never heard of that before!  :&>

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 01:35:10 pm »

I had to get rid of my Aylesbury drake as he was injuring the Runner females I could not imagine him treading a call duck without causing injury but it would be very interesting to see a cross. I have a male call duck who is besotted with one of my runners and stays glued to her side.
Anne

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 01:42:43 pm »
 :) our Indian Runner is very attached to the KC drake, a real issue of the heart
and I'm on the hunt for a missing egg again each day, the call cross (my favourite) has been hiding it for a week...  :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 06:22:07 pm »
Tonight I have switched the incubator on and I will decode tomorrow whether to incubate these eggs or leave them.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 06:46:13 pm »
Of course, because I switched on the incubator she has chosen to sit on the nest basically all day today!!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 09:07:49 pm »
my little black call has hidden hers successfuylly today, I could not find it! Now it's a race against time before she sits as well... :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 10:11:24 am »
Took this a few minutes ago, both the girls on the nest.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 10:38:45 am »
They must be good palls - one of mine 'Fudge' turns into a gobby little monster if any of the others go near her or her nest!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 10:29:46 pm »
This morning she decided that she was going to sit on the eggs and not move. So, tonight I have left her sitting on the nest and moved an old rabbit hutch (took the floor out of) and basically sat this over her and the nest so at least she is safe. No idea when they should hatch - if they are going to. It is amazing to watch her sit there and see the dedication.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 10:21:26 am »
great idea with the rabbit hutch, James! I'm quite glad mine has given up trying, as I couldn't really face the idea of hvaving to move her and her nest...Hope all goes well and you'll have a free range lot of ducklings in a few weeks!  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS