Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: FIREWORKS!!!!  (Read 4558 times)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
FIREWORKS!!!!
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:19:52 pm »
Just went out earlier to feed my dogs before I get ready to head out for New Years Eve when suddenly I have fireworks going off over my head and my sheep nearly knocked me over running down the yard. I am lucky that my horses are fairly calm about fireworks as several went off over where they have haylage.

I don't want to be a part pooper but if you arrive at a holiday let why do people think it is fine to let off fireworks at anytime without thinking about their neighbours?

I heard the children say get ready for the big ones so I wandered down my drive, which runs in front of the holiday let next door, and told them not to send anymore my way over my animals. They said sorry and I just got back in the house when they started again in a different part of the garden.

The wind and rain has stopped here and we have some stars in sight but it makes me rather wish Storm Frank would put in a short appearance at midnight and dampen the bangs!

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: FIREWORKS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 10:03:53 pm »
I hate fireworks and hate them more now I have a severely phobic dog :( I always worry that as well as upsetting animals some of them must upset ex soldiers and others with PTSD :(

I don't mind them (so much) on November 5th and NYE as they are predictable dates but they are year round now practically :(

I would love for it to be illegal to buy and set them off outside of organised displays because then you would know when and where they are and avoid them or for joe public to only be allowed to buy silent ones

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:05:54 pm »
They started at around 8.30pm here but we now have a bit of a lull before the mad time.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 12:33:24 pm »
I found that a silage bag with an oxy aceteline  mix and a spark plug taped inside , the live to the electric fence energiser, a wire to earth and some considerable ( after the first one  :o :o :o :o ) distance away . Flick switch aaand a glorious silence from next door , also deters the diesel thief.
(Disclaimer , don't try this at home or in  built up areas , may or may not have happened   ;) , other explosive gas mixed are available ) never did find the spark plug though !

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 02:50:06 pm »
I got up at 3 pm, I think it was, to go to the toilet and someone had only just started a bonfire in the village. I was like what??????? ??? Some crazy people out there ::)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 03:20:27 pm »
I got up at 3 pm, I think it was, to go to the toilet and someone had only just started a bonfire in the village. I was like what??????? ??? Some crazy people out there ::)
At a guess I'd just say a lot of things seem a good idea after a nights drinking  :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 04:35:42 pm »
I found the remains of a firework in the field today not too far from where it went off. Potentially could have hit an animal, me or property. Longish piece of cheap wood with the remains of the explosive bit still attached. I once found a really huge rocket that had nose dived into my neighbour's field and was quite a way into the ground. I wonder if people think they disappear into thin air once lit.

With quite a number of large holiday lets in our village fireworks have become an all year possibility whereas on Bonfire night is generally quiet.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 07:02:34 pm »
Public displays, where folks know about them weeks in advance and can take appropriate steps with regard to pets and livestock - fine.  Otherwise - about as far from fine as you can possibly get.  I've known a sheep run headlong into a fencepost and crush its skull, 50 steers run straight through an electric fence and over a hedge, and a gun shy Labrador still be a quivering jelly under the dining table the following morning. Yup, you're right, I loathe them.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 08:50:31 am »
Maybe we should set up a petition to ban firework displays near farmland? Explaining all that the poor animals suffer and the huge insurance costs if they're killed due to fireworks, either by killing themselves by trying to get away or if a firework hits them.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Re: FIREWORKS !!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 09:05:55 am »
Maybe we should set up a petition to ban firework displays near farmland? Explaining all that the poor animals suffer and the huge insurance costs if they're killed due to fireworks, either by killing themselves by trying to get away or if a firework hits them.

Would there be enough support ? look at the petition to ban Chinese lanterns , nothing ever happened ,we are miles away from anywhere yet I found one's remains in the yard. I cant see the need for private use of fireworks, when I was young it was only a once a year thing, now its November 5th, New year , Easter , weddings , birthdays etc  etc
I complained to our neighbours once when we first came up here , just laughed at me , hence some direct action taken

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 09:16:33 am »
I hate them, our dogs are terrified. I had a blazing row with the idiots in the small industrial unit next door to us. In November they stayed behind, set fire to a pile of pallets and we had fireworks and sparks whizzing over our house. We called the fire brigade because they have all sorts of stuff stored in there and genuinely thought the whole place was going to explode. Next morning I went round and got nothing but abuse from the 3 guys who were there. However I told them I was sure that environmental health would be interested and also sure their insurance company would be as well. Totally selfish behaviour, so many animals are traumatised because of fireworks.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 09:26:34 am »
They won't be banned as someone said look at the Chinese Lanterns issue. Did they not think one of those was seen near that huge fire at a scrap yard not that long ago?

I complain to the holiday lets and some are sympathetic. I put about messages on our village email service too.

As pointed out when we were small the fireworks were fizzy and quieter compared with todays. These wheel things that you only light once and they then set off a small display are very noisy.

We used to have a village bonfire and display well away from stock until one year a stray firework despite safe siting and lighting went through the crowd and melted a child's fleece onto his arm and narrowly missed entering the food tent. That was the last one. Child fortunately wasn't seriously hurt and his parents were sensible about the whole thing.

Most people just don't see the other side of their fun although if posters went out showing injured animals a ban would probably get more support than showing injured people.

I believe that apart from bonfire night and new years eve it is illegal to set them off after 10 at night.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 09:29:36 am »
There is a large firework store on an industrial estate near here.  Open 364 days a year.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
Re: FIREWORKS !!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 11:16:15 am »

Would there be enough support ? look at the petition to ban Chinese lanterns , nothing ever happened ,we are miles away from anywhere yet I found one's remains in the yard. I cant see the need for private use of fireworks, when I was young it was only a once a year thing, now its November 5th, New year , Easter , weddings , birthdays etc  etc
I complained to our neighbours once when we first came up here , just laughed at me , hence some direct action taken
The welsh government are banning chinese lanterns this year I think, due to the rise in animals eating them.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 09:18:10 am »
I found one in our fields a few years ago, it contained 70cm of fine wire.  Imagine that chopped up in silage or baled in hay.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS