Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant sheep on hill mid pregnancy  (Read 2821 times)

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
Pregnant sheep on hill mid pregnancy
« on: December 25, 2015, 01:30:55 pm »
Hi and merry Christmas everyone,
Today I've noticed my crossbred ewes (suffolkxmule) have ventured out to the mountain instead of staying in the fields and taking silage at a feeder, They are due to lamb mid March and I was wondering will they be ok for a week or two in the hill . There is plenty of grass in the hill and they have a mineral lick so i am more concerned about the rather rough terrain there's a few brews and sheughs that they will be hopping and jumping over . Would this do any harm mid pregnancy?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Pregnant sheep on hill mid pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 07:13:03 pm »
No they should be fine. Fit active sheep is a good thing especially during pregnancy. The fact that they have left the feeder would suggest that the grass on the hill is preferable which is either because the warm, wet weather is flushing grass growth through or that the food that you are offering may not be very nutritious.

Its probably the former.  :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Pregnant sheep on hill mid pregnancy
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 12:03:37 pm »
Most sheep will take fresh grass over silage any day.  If you're concerned about the rough terrain you could try and fit in a second check to make sure they're all up the right way around dawn and dusk.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS